Old Aalten

Category: Bredevoort

  • Gasthuis (Almshouse) Bredevoort

    Gasthuis (Almshouse) Bredevoort

    For centuries, the Gasthuis (also referred to as the Armenhuis or almshouse) served as a refuge for the poor, the sick, and the elderly in Bredevoort. From 1641 until approximately 1930, the institution occupied various locations within the city walls. The current Gasthuisstraat owes its name to this establishment.

    The house of Misslich (Agnietenhuis)

    The earliest known mention of an almshouse in Bredevoort dates to 1641. It occupied the old borgmanshuis (a fortified town house) and the orchard behind it, formerly belonging to Wolf Mislich, then Governor of the Lordship of Bredevoort. In 1639, Mislich drafted a will bequeathing his house and entire estate—valued at 15,000 guilders, a significant fortune at the time—to the poor relief of Bredevoort.

    Following his death in 1639, the will was executed, giving rise to the local saying: “De armen van Bredevoort bunt rieke” (The poor of Bredevoort are rich).

    The House of Misslich, also known as the Agnietenhuis, was presumably located in the vicinity of the later Ambthuis. Rental income from the property benefited the poor, and besides the Widow Mislich, two other families lived in the main house, while three smaller dwellings in the backyard were occupied by the needy.

    ‘t Walletje

    Around 1800, records regarding the Mislich house become silent. An 1832 cadastral map shows the ‘Armen Gasthuis van Bredevoord’ located at ’t Walletje, in the extension of the Vismarkt (cadastral plots B126-B129). This complex consisted of four dwellings, ranging in size from 22 to 26 m².

    Gasthuisstraat

    The third and final almshouse was built in 1844 on the Gasthuisstraat and consisted of eight dwellings. The land was purchased from the Hof van Barnsveld, a former borgmanshuis.

    On 14 August 1879, this building burned down completely, though it was subsequently repaired. In 1911, the almshouse underwent a thorough renovation, though it remained incomplete; the houses were eventually sold off and demolished one by one. In 1897, the Sint Bernardus building was purchased, where nursing care was provided around the turn of the century.


    Residents

    Population registers recorded each household on separate cards. Below is an overview of the inhabitants of the almshouse on the Gasthuisstraat over time:

    Period 1838-1850

    282828282828
    Maria Catharina Harmsen
    (Winterswijk, 26-01-1787)
    Johanna Hendrika Lindeman
    (Bredevoort, 04-12-1786)
    Andries Willemsen
    (Bredevoort, 14-08-1790)
    Janna Geertruid Meinen
    (Bredevoort, 06-01-1789)
    Jan Hendrik Duenk
    (Bredevoort, 17-10-1810)
    Fredrik Boom
    (Bredevoort, 24-03-1797)

    Period 1850-1860

    2828a28b28c28d28e28f28g
    Janna Geertruid Meinen
    (Bredevoort, 06-01-1789)
    Johanna Hendrika Lindeman
    (Bredevoort, 04-12-1786)
    Hendrikus Kempink
    (Bredevoort, 16-09-1815)
    Jan Hendrik Duenk
    (Bredevoort, 17-10-1810)
    Fredrik Boom
    (Bredevoort, 24-03-1797)
    Toni Blekking
    (Aalten, 15-07-1798)
    Andries Willemsen
    (Bredevoort, 14-08-1790)
    Gerrit Jan Sikking
    (Bredevoort, 14-10-1792)
    Hendrika Aleida Kalf
    (Aalten, 23-05-1822)
    Jan Willemsen
    (Bredevoort, 28-02-1802)

    Period 1860-1870

    2828a28b28c28d28e
    Hendrikus Kempink
    (Bredevoort, 16-09-1815)
    Jan Hendrik Duenk
    (Bredevoort, 17-10-1810)
    Hendrika Aleida Kalf
    (Aalten, 23-05-1822)
    Toni Blekking
    (Aalten, 15-07-1798)
    Jan Willemsen
    (Bredevoort, 28-02-1802)
    Gerrit Jan Sikking
    (Bredevoort, 14-10-1792)
    Grada Meinen
    (Aalten, 11-12-1797)

    Period 1870-1880

    30/130/230/330/430/530/630/730/8
    Mina Helmig
    (Bredevoort, 05-07-1824)
    Christina ten Pas
    (Winterswijk, 21-08-1812)
    Hendrikus Kempink
    (Bredevoort, 16-09-1815)
    Hendrika Aleida Kalf
    (Aalten, 23-05-1822)
    Jan Hendrik Duenk
    (Bredevoort, 17-10-1810)
    Janna Geertruid te Slaa
    (Winterswijk, 05-04-1802)
    Jan Willemsen
    (Bredevoort, 28-02-1802)
    Berendina Villekes
    (Bredevoort, 26-06-1800)
    Johanna Ribbink
    (Winterswijk, 01-08-1810)
    Theodora Berendina Grotenhuis
    (Henxel, 01-01-1829)
    Berendina Hijink
    (Lichtenvoorde, 19-06-1834)
    Derk Willem Bloemers
    (Woold, 10-02-1821)

    Period 1880-1890

    38/138/238/338/438/538/638/738/8
    Johanna Ribbink
    (Winterswijk, 01-08-1810)
    Berendina Hijink
    (Lichtenvoorde, 19-06-1834)
    Theodora Berendina Grotenhuis
    (Henxel, 01-01-1829)
    Christina ten Pas
    (Winterswijk, 21-08-1812)
    Jan Hendrik Duenk
    (Bredevoort, 17-10-1810)
    Derk Willem Bloemers
    (Woold, 10-02-1821)
    Gerritjen Duenk
    (Lichtenvoorde, 28-01-1824)
    Frans Julius Römer
    (Mittweida/D, 02-11-1815)
    Willemina Kwak
    (Wisch, 04-04-1829)
    Berendina Villekes
    (Bredevoort, 26-06-1800)
    Mina Helmig
    (Bredevoort, 05-07-1824)
    Hendrika Harmina Schoppers
    (Dale, 09-11-1821)
    Geertruid Kobus
    (Winterswijk, 02-08-1842)
    Jan Hendrik Grotenhuis
    (Henxel, 22-07-1832)
    Gerritjen Dina Scholtz
    (Aalten, 31-12-1834)
    Janna Berendina Dreijers
    (Aalten, 25-05-1833)

    Period 1890-1900

    30/130/230/330/430/530/630/730/8
    Johanna Ribbink
    (Winterswijk, 01-08-1810)
    Berendina Hijink
    (Lichtenvoorde, 19-06-1834)
    Geertruid Kobus
    (Winterswijk, 02-08-1842)
    Janna Berendina Dreijers
    (Aalten, 25-05-1833)
    Jan Hendrik Duenk
    (Bredevoort, 17-10-1810)
    Mina Helmig
    (Bredevoort, 05-07-1824)
    Gerritjen Duenk
    (Lichtenvoorde, 28-01-1824)
    Gerritjen Dina Scholtz
    (Aalten, 31-12-1834)
    Janna Geertruid te Wieske
    (Winterswijk, 11-11-1840)
    Gerrit Hendrik Mengerink
    (Neede, 07-01-1851)
    Harmen Jan Piek
    (Aalten, 09-03-1826)
    Maria Hendrika Slats
    (Aalten, 03-05-1823)
    Geertruid Kobus
    (Winterswijk, 02-08-1842)
    Gerrit Hendrik Piek
    (Vragender, 24-08-1834)
    Gerrit Hendrik Piek
    (Vragender, 24-08-1834)
    Janna Berendina Dreijers
    (Aalten, 25-05-1833)

    Period 1900-1910

    2727/327/427/527/627/7
    Janna Berendina Dreijers
    (Aalten, 25-05-1833)
    Harmen Jan Piek
    (Aalten, 09-03-1826)
    Maria Hendrika Slats
    (Aalten, 03-05-1823)
    Geertruid Kobus
    (Winterswijk, 02-08-1842)
    Gerrit Hendrik Piek
    (Vragender, 24-08-1834)
    Gerritjen Dina Scholtz
    (Aalten, 31-12-1834)
    Tonia Gesiena Oonk
    (Miste, 05-09-1869)
    Jan Derk Wilterdink
    (Miste, 02-11-1860)

    Period 1910-1920

    28/528/7
    Geertruid Kobus
    (Winterswijk, 02-08-1842)
    Gerritjen Dina Scholtz
    (Aalten, 31-12-1834)

    Owners

    Overview is incomplete.

    YearPlotOwnerDescription
    1832B-76Anthony Lurvink, merchant690 m² house, sched & garden
    1847B-258the Reformed Diaconate of Bredevoort199 m² almshouse & garden

    Sources


  • Vismarkt 9

    Vismarkt 9

    Bredevoort

    Former synagogue, originally built around 1830. The building was already dilapidated in 1858, but did not qualify for a ministerial subsidy at that time.

    At the end of the 19th century, the Jewish community in Bredevoort appeared to have insufficient members to hold regular services. In 1900, the community of Bredevoort was dissolved and merged with that of Aalten.

    The building on the Vismarkt served as a synagogue until the beginning of World War I. Around 1920, the synagogue was converted into a home. Today, the building is a municipal monument and is registered with the province of Gelderland as a historical architectural monument.


    Owners

    Overview is incomplete.

    YearPlotOwnerDescription
    1832B-116the Israelite Community of Bredevoort220 m² church

    Residents

    Population register 1823-1838

    Bredevoort 2

    Sophia Soesman (Trier-Merl, 10-1766), widow of Godschalk Wolf

    Population register 1838-1850

    Bredevoort 149

    Sophia Soesman (Trier-Merl, 10-1766)

    Next residents:

    Johanna Jacoba Pommer (Kruiskapel, 08-07-1790), widow of Joannes Babtista Antonius Blömer

    Next (head) resident, son:

    Population register 1850-1860

    Bredevoort 149

    Johannes Hendrikus Bloemers (Bredevoort, 07-05-1822), weaver

    Population register 1860-1870

    Bredevoort 149

    Johannes Theodorus Albers (Bredevoort, 01-11-1810), weaver
    Anna Geertruida Scholtenlo (Bredevoort, 07-10-1806)

    Population register 1870-1880

    Bredevoort 163

    The church of the Israelites

    Population register 1880-1890

    Bredevoort 191

    “Isr. church”

    Matheus Antonie Gieskes (Enschede, 09-10-1865), merchant
    Elisabeth Rooze Meijer (Losser, 30-07-1867)

    Population register 1890-1900

    Bredevoort 172

    Johannes Chrisostomeus Albertus van Embden (Doetinchem, 23-03-1860), umbrella maker
    Aleida Kall (Losser, 30-07-1862)

    Next residents:

    Martinus Veldhuizen (Rheden, 18-02-1874), labourer
    Everdina Garritsen (Steenderen, 03-05-1876)

    Population register 1900-1910

    Bredevoort 161 > 171

    Jan Matthijs Prins (Aalten, 17-07-1836), box gluer
    Johanna Geertruid Schotman (Aalten, 31-03-1840)

    Next residents:

    Marinus Lambertus Bruininks (Barendrecht, 27-11-1881)
    Maria Lefeber (Uithoorn, 06-12-1886)

    Population register 1910-1920

    Bredevoort 171

    Marinus Lambertus Bruininks (Barendrecht, 27-11-1881)
    Maria Lefeber (Uithoorn, 06-12-1886)

    Next residents:

    Bredevoort 171 > 157

    Gradus Johannes Veldkamp (Bredevoort, 18-09-1882), factory worker
    Berendina Johanna Engelen (Ulft, 17-07-1884)

    Population register 1920-1930

    Bredevoort 157

    Gradus Johannes Veldkamp (Bredevoort, 18-09-1882)
    Berendina Johanna Engelen (Ulft, 17-07-1884)

    Next residents:

    Bernard Willem Kempink (Bredevoort, 11-10-1906), clog maker
    Aleida Mengerink (Aalten, 11-08-1908)

    Address directory 1934

    Bredevoort 157 > Vischmarkt 9

    B.W. Kempink

    Address directory 1967

    Vismarkt 9

    B.W. Kempink

    Features


    Cadastral no.B-1043
    FunctionSynagogue,
    Home
    Year of constructionca. 1830
    ListedMunicipal
    monument
  • The Merfelt Cellar

    The Merfelt Cellar

    Prinsenstraat 3a, Bredevoort

    The late-medieval Merfelt Cellar belonged to a borgmanhuis (townhouse of a knight) where Adolf van Merfelt, a borgman of Bredevoort, resided in former times. The cellar of this townhouse is both rare and ancient. The method by which it was vaulted is highly unusual for a private dwelling: it features four cross vaults with a central supporting pillar.

    In 2014, the Merfelt Cellar was nominated for the Aalten Municipality Heritage Prize. The reason for the nomination was the meticulous care and respect for historical character and the use of authentic materials during its restoration.

    The restoration work on the cellar took place over several years. The highlight of the project was the repair of the vaulting, which ensured the long-term stability of the cross vaults.


    Owners

    This overview is incomplete.

    YearPlotOwnerDescription

    Residents

    Address directory 1967

    Prinsenstraat 3a

    B. te Winkel

    Features


    FunctionCellar
    Year of constructionLate Middle Ages
    ListedGemeentelijk
    monument
  • Koppelkerk

    Koppelkerk

    Koppelstraat 35, Bredevoort

    The Koppelkerk is a landmark, former Reformed church in Bredevoort, situated on the corner of Koppelstraat and Prins Mauritsstraat. Built in the austere style of the Delft School, the building was constructed between 1947 and 1948 and currently serves as a centre for arts and culture.

    Until World War II, the Reformed congregation of Bredevoort had to travel to Aalten to attend church services. After the war, the congregation acquired its own land on the site known as De Koppele. Located near the filled-in moat, the ground first had to be raised because it was low-lying and often marshy. The name Koppelkerk refers to this area.

    The church was designed by architect W. Geels. The foundation stone was laid in 1947, and the building was officially opened in 1948.

    Extensions and Tower

    Over time, several extensions were added to the original church:

    • In 1956, the tower was built clandestinely, initially without planning permission.
    • In 1958, architect W. van der Zee from Aalten added the concrete tower crown, which increased the tower’s height by approximately five metres.
    • In 1966–1967, architect Willem Hebly, also from Aalten, designed an extension at the rear to accommodate meeting rooms.
    • In 1988, the tower was fitted with a church bell, cast by the De Klok bell foundry in Aarle-Rixtel.

    Architecture

    The Koppelkerk is set back within a spacious garden and stands out due to its simple yet powerful design. The church provides a clear example of Protestant church architecture from the immediate post-Second World War period. Its authentic character has been well preserved in both its main structure and its detailing.

    New Purpose

    In 2013, the building was designated a municipal monument (locally listed building). Shortly afterwards, the church lost its original function. Following consultations, the church council granted permission for the building to be repurposed. In 2015, the former church was converted into a multi-purpose centre for arts and culture.

    Today, the Koppelkerk plays a prominent role in the cultural life of Bredevoort:

    • Arts are showcased through rotating exhibitions and concerts.
    • Intellectual depth is offered via lectures, debate evenings, and talks.
    • In the book café, styled as a living room lined with bookshelves, monthly literary cafés are held.

    Features


    Cadastral no.B-1943
    FunctionChurch
    Year of construction1948
    ListedMunicipal
    monument
  • St George’s Church

    St George’s Church

    Kerkstraat 16, Bredevoort

    The Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart and Saint George (H. Hart en H. Georgiuskerk) has stood on the old Ossenkop bastion in Bredevoort since 1876. Designed by architect Alfred Tepe, it is a single-nave, Neo-Gothic church and is designated a municipal monument (locally listed building).

    Until the end of the 16th century, the Roman Catholics of Bredevoort worshipped in the old St George’s Church (Sint Joriskerk) on the Markt. Following the siege of Bredevoort and the introduction of the Reformation in 1597, they were forbidden from holding church services. For a long period, they used the Kruiskapel (Cross Chapel), located just across the border in Germany.

    In 1798, a Roman Catholic church was established once again in Bredevoort. This first small church stood opposite the current building, on the plot now known as Koppelstraat 9. It consisted of two knocked-together houses whose roofs had been removed and walls raised. The altar was made of brick, and the walls were painted white to give the building an ecclesiastical appearance. In 1855, the church was elevated to the status of a parish.

    The Current Church

    In 1871, A.E. Smorenburg became the parish priest in the fortified town and was tasked by the bishop with building a new church. After the fortifications of Bredevoort were largely dismantled during the nineteenth century, Saint George’s Church (Sint-Georgiuskerk) was built on the curtain wall between two bastions. As a result, the church still stands slightly higher than the surrounding streets.

    The parish received part of the Ossenkop bastion (1,420 m²) from the municipality of Aalten for free, including the surrounding section of the moat and quay. The remaining 1,420 m² was purchased for 795.20 guilders. The initial design for Bredevoort was drawn up by Pierre Cuypers, modelled on the church in Ruurlo. Ultimately, Alfred Tepe’s 1874 design was executed instead, with A. Ubbink serving as the building contractor.

    The construction of the church required 230,000 bricks and 150 mud (hectolitre) of lime. The first 100,000 bricks were brought in on wheelbarrows by parishioners from Barlo in Germany, who wished to demonstrate their solidarity with Dutch Catholics in this way. The remaining bricks were presumably fired in the brick kiln on the Haart. Construction began in 1875, and the church was consecrated by Father Smorenburg as early as 3 October 1876. The old church was subsequently demolished and the land sold.

    Renovation and Extension

    In 1897, under Father Mulder, the church was renovated and expanded with a clock and three bells. A year later, a terrazzo floor was laid by Felice Monasso from Bocholt, and the walls were painted by Muermans and Son from Roermond, including a depiction of Christ and the Apostles in the Garden of Olives.

    Closure for Worship

    Saint George’s Church was closed for worship (deconsecrated) in the spring of 2021 and sold to a social entrepreneur.

    Features


    Cadastral no.B-457
    FunctionChurch
    Year of construction1876
    ListedMunicipal
    monument

    Sources


  • Old Cemetery Bredevoort

    Old Cemetery Bredevoort

    Prins Mauritsstraat, Bredevoort

    De Oude Begraafplaats aan de Prins Mauritsstraat in Bredevoort werd rond 1830 aangelegd, gelijktijdig met de naastgelegen Joodse Begraafplaats. Het terrein kwam beschikbaar na de ontmanteling van de vestingwerken aan de oostzijde van het stadje.

    The cemetery is characterised by an irregular floor plan, surrounded by beech hedges and tall trees. The oldest section is situated directly along Prins Mauritsstraat. In 1925, the southernmost strip was added to the cemetery. At the same time, a new entrance gate was installed, and a mortuary was built a few years later.

    Features


    Cadastral no.A-1144/1648
    FunctionCemetery
    Establishmentc. 1830
    ListedGemeentelijk
    monument

    Sources


    View the graves on Findagrave.

  • Kloosterhof Cemetery

    Kloosterhof Cemetery

    Kloosterdijk, Bredevoort

    The Kloosterhof Cemetery on the Kloosterdijk in Bredevoort was laid out in 1862–1863 and originally served as a Roman Catholic cemetery.

    The oldest, centrally located section features a symmetrical layout with a distinctive entrance gate, a mortuary that also functions as a workshop, and rows of graves facing a Calvary Cross at the rear of the site.

    In the 1980s, the cemetery was extended with a general section. In 1989, a mortuary building was also erected, providing facilities for the deceased to lie in state, for families to pay their last respects, and for offering condolences.

    In 2024, the Municipality of Aalten announced that part of the cemetery would be designated as a natural burial ground. This development aligns with modern wishes and needs regarding burial.

    Features


    Cadastral no.O-549/1146
    FunctionCemetery
    ListedGemeentelijk
    monument

    Sources


    View the graves on Findagrave.

  • Jewish Cemetery Bredevoort

    Jewish Cemetery Bredevoort

    Prins Mauritsstraat, Bredevoort

    De Joodse Begraafplaats aan de Prins Mauritsstraat in Bredevoort werd rond 1830 aangelegd, gelijktijdig met de naastgelegen algemene begraafplaats. Het terrein kwam beschikbaar na de ontmanteling van de vestingwerken aan de oostzijde van het stadje.

    The last Jews from Bredevoort to be interred at this cemetery were siblings Levi and Sara Sander. Both passed away in 1938, shortly after one another. The cemetery is not open to the public.

    Two Jewish cemeteries

    Bredevoort had ooit twee Joodse begraafplaatsen. De oudste was gelegen op het voormalige kasteelterrein achter Hozenstraat 5. In 1953 werd dit terrein verkocht aan de gemeente Aalten ten behoeve van woningbouw. De stoffelijke resten en grafzerken werden toen overgebracht naar de tweede begraafplaats aan de Prins Mauritsstraat.

    Maintenance and Restoration

    Initially, the cemetery was maintained by the municipality. Since 2018, volunteers from the Bredevoorts Belang association have been responsible for mowing the grass and keeping the walls and the 12 gravestones free of climbing plants. In 2022, restoration work began to repair cracks in the walls, renew the pointing, and refurbish the gate.

    Features


    Cadastral no.A-1143
    FunctionCemetery
    Establishmentc. 1830
    ListedGemeentelijk
    monument

    View the graves on Findagrave.

  • Dutch Button Works

    Dutch Button Works

    Misterstraat 39, Bredevoort (repurposed)

    Dutch Button Works was a button factory in Bredevoort that existed from 1884 until 1976. During its heyday, approximately 270 people were employed by the company; at the time of its closure, the workforce numbered about 44.

    The Horn Industry

    In Nederland bestonden in de 19e eeuw al enkele knopenindustrieën. De oudste op dit gebied ontstond in 1815, maar dat betrof voornamelijk stofknopen, in het bijzonder van linnen. In Duitsland en Engeland waren rond 1900 bedrijven ontstaan die uit hoorn knopen produceerden. Met dat voorbeeld voor ogen begon Willem te Gussinklo in het jaar 1905 met het maken van hoornen knopen. Dat was een primeur voor Nederland, de eerste fabriek van buffelhoornen knopen. Al snel kwam zoon Willem te Gussinklo jr. (Piepkes Willem) in de firma, die zich ontwikkelde als innovatief ondernemer.

    De eerste fabriek van Te Gussinklo stond aan ‘t Dal in Aalten, de tegenwoordige Willemstraat. De productie was aanvankelijk uitsluitend handwerk en de knopen werden één voor één gemaakt. Vanwege de toenemende vraag naar knopen kocht hij in 1924 de oude weverij van Van Eijck in Bredevoort. Daar ging de productie van knopen van start.

    Bredevoort had toen ook nog een station. Zo nu en dan arriveerde daar een wagonlading horens, afkomstig uit India en bestemd voor de Bredevoortse knopenindustrie. Naarmate de jaren verstreken werd de fabricage van knopen steeds meer gemechaniseerd. Met door eigen technici vervaardigde machines werd het product toen ten dele of geheel automatisch vervaardigd. Van het hoorn zaagde men schijfjes, rondellen genoemd. Hiervoor werd zowel het hoorn uit de massieve punten van buffelhoorn gebruikt, alsook de holle gedeelten ervan.

    Export

    The export of buttons was of great importance. Trade was primarily focused on English-speaking countries—England, Ireland, and North America—where Dutch Button Works enjoyed a fine reputation. Until the 1920s, the buttons produced were exclusively intended for men’s suits. However, when demand fell during the crisis of the early 1930s, ladies’ buttons were put into production as compensation, almost simultaneously with the manufacture of bone buttons. Bone buttons were intended for undergarments. Besides buttons, the factory in Bredevoort also manufactured walking sticks—specifically, the knob or handle and the tip were crafted from horn.

    Een aantal jaren nadat de kammenfabriek Ten Dam & Manschot uit Aalten was opgeheven nam DBW ook de productie van kammen ter hand. In de Tweede Wereldoorlog is men ook overgegaan op het verwerken van inlands hoorn. Behalve knopen waren asbakken en vogels favoriete werkstukken. Van hertshoorn vervaardigde men knopen voor de zogenaamde jagersjassen en van schijven hertshoorn maakte men kleine asbakjes of kaarsenstandaards op een voet van palissanderhout.

    Before the war, DBW also had branches in Germany: in Berlin and Bocholt. After 1945, the company experienced a peak period. The third generation, W.A. te Gussinklo, joined the management. Demand for buttons was high. Many home workers were occupied with sewing buttons onto cards. The horn buttons found their way to garment factories. Sales representatives would travel with a “model jacket” made of various pieces of fabric sewn together—a multicoloured patchwork. On each piece of fabric, the most suitable buttons for that specific material were sewn.

    In 1959, the company celebrated its 75th anniversary. At that time, there were over a hundred employees, excluding home workers. Due to increasing automation, the company achieved high turnover with fewer staff. In the second half of the 1950s, horn was largely superseded by plastics. In 1963, the management of DBW, together with an English button factory, took over the largest button factory in Germany.

    Decline

    The company suffered a heavy blow in 1968 when the director, W.A. te Gussinklo, died at the age of 51, just six months before his father. He was succeeded by his wife, B.A. te Gussinklo-Zandbergen. When her son H.J. Gussinklo Ohmann completed his studies at the technical university in Eindhoven a year later, he also joined the management. By then, the production system was entirely focused on plastic buttons (polyester), which the company had started producing itself around 1960. In the long run, however, it proved extremely difficult to remain competitive. Despite great efforts to keep the company running, they were forced to close DBW in 1976.

    De gemeente Aalten kocht het complex in 1977 en het werd doorverkocht aan de firma’s Van Wezel en Voltman-Riviera. Later was hier vele jaren lang autobedrijf Albert ten Bruin gevestigd.

    Repurposing

    At a municipal information evening in July 2008, the Vereniging Bredevoorts Belang (Bredevoort Interest Association) made a plea for the preservation and restoration of this characteristic building. They stated: “This building is the only remaining, tangible, and visible intact industrial heritage that Bredevoort still possesses, providing residents with a link to its extensive textile history. The factory building, still in its original state, has a striking, beautiful facade featuring the typical elements of an industrial building built in the third quarter of the nineteenth century.” The non-monumental parts were demolished in 2019. The monumental building has since been repurposed to house apartments and a supermarket.

    Features


    Cadastral no.A-2623
    FunctionButton factory
    Foundation1884
    Discontinuation1976
    ListedGemeentelijk
    monument
  • Ambthuis (Administrative House)

    Ambthuis (Administrative House)

    Landstraat 17, Bredevoort

    According to its wall anchors, the original Ambthuis (Administrative House) dated from 1699. For a century, it served as the centre of power for the Heerlijkheid (Lordship) of Bredevoort. The Ambthuis was also known as the Mauritshuis, as Prince Maurice had clearly left an unforgettable impression on the local inhabitants.

    Chief Court

    Following the gunpowder tower disaster of 1646, the town and lordship of Bredevoort had been left without an ambthuis (a building combining a courthouse and a town hall). It would take over fifty years before a new one was constructed. The building was likely connected to the Misterpoort, the city gate situated opposite the house.
    The building also served as the hoofdgerecht (chief court) of the lordship. While courts existed in Aalten and Winterswijk as well, serious offences were always tried in Bredevoort, with the drost (bailiff) presiding as judge.

    The cellars contained several dungeons (cachots), cells, and a torture chamber equipped with the necessary implements. Those sentenced to death were held in a cell devoid of daylight and fresh air. If a suspect refused to confess, the threat of the torture chamber was often enough to secure a plea of guilt. Sentences were traditionally pronounced on ’t Zand. In the case of a death sentence, the condemned was immediately taken to the Galgenbulte (Gallows Hill) on the Hollenberg for execution. Usually, this meant hanging from the gallows that had stood there for centuries, waiting for its victims. It is said that the gallows could be seen from the Aalterpoort. For the local population, such executions were a sensation, and people from all over Bredevoort and Aalten would turn out to witness the event.

    Other Functions

    After the French period, the building lost its original function and was used for various purposes, including as a shop for the Catholic cooperative. This cooperative was founded by the workers’ association in 1920. In the past, Catholics would frequent this shop, while those of other faiths would go to the other cooperative further down Landstraat.

    The Ambthuis was demolished around 1963. The cellars of the Ambthuis, which included two prison cells, were still located beneath the shop. In 1964, the foundation stone was laid for the construction of the Betting furniture store on this site. This building was in turn demolished in 2009, after Betting moved to new premises on Prins Mauritsstraat.

    New Construction

    Today, the site of the old Ambthuis is occupied by a care apartment complex consisting of twenty apartments and a restaurant. The new building was again given the name ‘Ambthuis’. In terms of its exterior, the new building bears many similarities to its illustrious predecessor. A replica of the historic sundial was attached to the building, and a replica of the bandstand was placed in front of it. An original gable stone from the old Ambthuis was built into the front facade, bearing the inscription: “Die kan lide haet en nijt, die overwint in korten tijd” (He who can endure hate and envy, shall overcome in a short time).


    Owners

    This overview is incomplete.

    YearPlotOwnerDescription
    1832B-104Jan Barend Top, bleacher390 m² house & yard

    Residents

    Population register 1823-1838

    Bredevoort 16

    Johannes Bernadus Top (Weseke/D, 28-07-1749)
    Hermina Legeschaar (Kruiskapel/D, 28-11-1789)

    Population register 1838-1850

    Bredevoort 8

    Johannes Bernadus Top (Weseke/D, 28-07-1749)
    Hermina Legeschaar (Kruiskapel/D, 28-11-1789)

    Population register 1850-1870

    There’s still a gap in our information here…

    Population register 1870-1880

    Bredevoort 10

    Jean Leander van Eijck (Sint-Niklaas/B, 25-11-1808 – Bredevoort, 25-02-1888)

    Population register 1880-1890

    Bredevoort 17

    Jean Leander van Eijck (Sint-Niklaas/B, 25-11-1808 – Bredevoort, 25-02-1888)

    Next (head) resident, daughter:

    Johanna Christina Theodora van Eijck (Bredevoort, 18-06-1848)

    Population register 1890-1900

    Bredevoort 11

    Johanna Christina Theodora van Eijck (Bredevoort, 18-06-1848)

    Population register 1900-1910

    Bredevoort 9 > 9

    Johanna Christina Theodora van Eijck (Bredevoort, 18-06-1848)

    Population register 1910-1920

    Bredevoort 9

    Johanna Christina Theodora van Eijck (Bredevoort, 18-06-1848)

    Next residents (1918-1922):

    Bredevoort 9 > 225

    Carl Rotthoff (Castrop/D, 24-12-1872), engineer
    Antonia Johanna Josepha Maria Sevink (Bredevoort, 05-07-1879)

    Address directory 1934

    Bredevoort 225 > Landstraat 17

    Co-op Shop “Eigen Hulp”

    Address directory 1967

    Landstraat 17

    W.H. Betting
    Mej. J.W. Betting

    Features


    Cadastral no.B-1824
    FunctionGovernment building,
    Residential house,
    Shop
    Year of construction1699
    Demolitionca. 1963
    Year of
    current building
    2010
  • St George’s Church, Bredevoort

    St George’s Church, Bredevoort

    Markt 3, Bredevoort

    The Sint-Joriskerk (Saint George’s Church) is a late-Gothic church in Bredevoort, the foundations of which date back to 1316. The church is dedicated to Saint George, the patron saint of the borgmannen (castellans) of Bredevoort. A characteristic feature is the tower’s finial: a statue of Saint George and the Dragon instead of a traditional weathercock. On the east side of the church, there is a so-called ‘melaatsenraampje'(leper window). In earlier times, worshippers with contagious diseases used this window to follow the mass.

    Early History

    De oudste fundamenten van de kerk stammen uit 1316, en mogelijk diende het gebouw in haar vroegste jaren als kapel op het kasteel van Bredevoort. Tijdens het Beleg van Bredevoort in 1597 door Prins Maurits is de oude (en grotere) kerk volledig afgebrand en zijn de gewelven ingestort. Het jaar erop richtten de Bredevoorters een verzoek aan de classis Zutphen om weer een nieuwe kerk te bouwen: “Die van Bredeforts soln met request an desen quartier verzoekcken assistentie tott reaparatie hearder Kapellene”. In 1599 begon men met de herbouw in gotische stijl.

    Expansions

    Following the reconstruction, the church underwent various expansions. In 1600, after another fire, a tower was added. In 1639, the chapel was enlarged and broken out on the north side. Using the same stones, the wall was rebuilt several metres further out. Later expansions followed in the form of the boerenzolder (farmers’ loft) and the orgelzolder (organ loft). This extension, including the loft, is clearly visible. Biblical proverbs are inscribed in the beams of the farmers’ loft, such as: “Salich zijn se die rein van herte zin want sij zullen Godt zien” (Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God).

    Powder Tower Disaster of 1646

    Op 12 juli 1646 sloeg de bliksem in de kruittoren van het kasteel. De ontploffing die volgde verwoestte een groot deel van de stad. Veertig mensen kwamen om. Het kasteel was in een ruïne veranderd en ook de kerk liep aanzienlijke schade op. Elf slachtoffers, waaronder de drost van Bredevoort en zijn vrouw en acht van hun kinderen, werden in het koor (het oostelijk gedeelte van de kerk) begraven.

    The church was rebuilt, though smaller than its predecessor. In 1672, Captain Satink donated a Rococo pulpit featuring his family coat of arms, as well as a copper lectern bearing the arms of the Holy Roman Empire.

    Renovations

    De kerk heeft door de eeuwen heen verschillende renovaties ondergaan. In de Franse tijd werden onder andere een houten gewelf en een vloer van Bentheimer steen toegevoegd. Ook kreeg de kerk toen nieuwe banken en werd de vloer opgehoogd. In 1832 werden de kerkbanken wit geschilderd.

    In 1849, the wooden plank ceiling was replaced with a lime ceiling. In 1858, a catechism room was added, for which King William III donated 200 guilders. The walls of the church were re-plastered in 1868, and this plaster layer was removed again during the restoration of 1949. In 1869, the tower was repaired. In 1882, five stained-glass windows were replaced by cast-iron ones. Three years later, two more cast-iron examples were installed in the farmers’ loft.

    In 1889, the catechism room was extended with an annex. During a thorough renovation in 1896, the façade received new doors, a rose window, two small gable windows, and an iron cross. The commemorative stone is now placed on the inside of the wall of the organ loft. In 1920, the spire was renewed.

    Post-War Restorations

    After the Second World War, the church was in poor condition. Following a large-scale restoration, the church was put back into use in 1967. During a restoration in 2006, the subsided gravestones and the natural stone floor were repaired. It was discovered that a number of the stones had been laid upside down, likely during the French period; these have since been properly repositioned. During the work, several historical finds were made, including coins, human remains, and stained glass. Furthermore, a stone from the Republic of the Seven United Netherlands was found.

    Research revealed that two of the stones that had been laid upside down belonged to the Bredevoort Drost, Wilhelm van Haersolte, and his family. They perished along with almost all their children during the powder tower disaster of 1646. Only their son, Anthony, had survived the disaster. In 2010, his descendants donated 3,000 euros to the restoration committee.

    Bells and Clock

    De Sint-Joriskerk herbergt drie klokken. De oudste, een monumentale klepklok uit 1454, werd in 1596 geleend van het klooster Schaer. Na de vernietiging van het klooster, tijdens de belegering van 1597, is deze klok altijd blijven hangen. Wilhelm van Haersolte tot Elsen schonk de brandklok, gegoten in 1644. De luidklok dateert van 1731 en wordt volgens oude traditie dagelijks om 8.00 uur, 12.00 uur en 21.00 geluid. De stadspoorten werden vroeger om 8.00 uur geopend en om 21.00 uur gesloten. Etenstijd was om 12.00 uur.

    In 1942 kreeg de kerk een nieuw uurwerk. Het oude uurwerk uit 1666 is binnenkort weer te bezichtigen in de Sint-Joriskerk. In 1980 werd het kleine carillon van drie klokjes herplaatst.


    Owners

    Overview is incomplete.

    YearPlotOwnerDescription
    1832B-80de Hervormde Kerk Bredevoord280 m² church

    Features


    Cadastral no.B-1199
    FunctionChurch
    Year of construction14th/17th century
    MonumentNational Monument

    Sources


  • St Bernardus

    St Bernardus

    ‘t Zand 23, formerly ‘t Zand 15, Bredevoort

    St Bernardus House is a distinctive building on ’t Zand, the central square of Bredevoort. The building has a rich history, having served as a residence, a sanatorium, and a nursing home.

    Het pand werd oorspronkelijk gebouwd in opdracht van Jan Satink, luitenant-kolonel in het Staatse leger, Regiment Nationalen. Het verrees op de plek waar ooit de voorburcht van het kasteel Bredevoort heeft gestaan. In 1800 kwam het huis door vererving in bezit van de familie Roelvink. Arnoldus Florentinus Roelvink, telg uit deze familie, was vanaf 1813 burgemeester van Bredevoort.

    In 1897, the building was purchased by Father Bernardus Mulders. The priest was a man of means and acquired the former steward’s house with his own funds. His goal, he wrote, was to offer “his poor children” a Catholic education. Because Catholic schools were costly at the time, he devised a clever solution: he brought nuns to Bredevoort, who established a convent and a sanatorium in the steward’s house. Nuns were an economical option as they received no salary, having dedicated their lives to God.

    Onder beheer van de Zusters Franciscanessen van Thuine werd het ‘R.K. Sanatorium St. Bernardus Gesticht’ opgericht. Het klooster-sanatorium noemde hij naar zijn eigen patroonsheilige, Sint Bernardus van Clairvaux. Met de winst van het sanatorium begon de pastoor een lagere school: de Sint Joannesschool.

    The sanatorium was intended for wealthy patients, as the nursing costs were high, ranging from f 1.50 to f 2.20 per day. Medical expenses and pharmacy costs were charged at 10 guilders per month. Second-class patients paid f 7.50.

    Vanaf 1907 kwamen mensen uit het hele land naar Bredevoort om in het sanatorium te herstellen. Zij verbleven er vaak maandenlang. Overdag lagen zij in bed in een lighal, ook in de winter; helemaal ingepakt. In de tuin van Sint Bernardus, nu het Vestingpark, stonden minstens tien van deze lighallen met hun open zijde naar de zon gericht. Twee daarvan zijn bewaard gebleven en hebben de status van rijksmonument.

    The sanatorium remained in use until 1933. Afterwards, the building was repurposed as a nursing home for the elderly. In 1938, the Sisters of Thuine were succeeded by the Sisters of St. Joseph from Amersfoort. The last sisters left Bredevoort in 1985.

    In 1988 volgde een grootschalige renovatie en uitbreiding van het gebouw door Stichting Verzorgingstehuis St. Bernardus. Het bejaardentehuis verhuisde uiteindelijk in 2008 naar het nieuwgebouwde Ambthuis.

    Since 2020, the building has had a new destination: it is used as the boutique hotel & brasserie De Heerlyckheid.


    Owners

    Overview is incomplete.

    YearPlotOwnerDescription
    1832B-209
    B-208
    Arnoldus Florentinus Roelvink,
    mayor of Aalten and
    Bredevoort in Bredevoort
    550 m² house & garden
    220 m² house & garden
    1877B-397
    B-380
    Bernard Andries Roelvink,
    griffier bij het kantongerigt
    235 m² house & garden
    552 m² house & garden
    1887B-588
    B-589
    Leonard Roelvink, mayor240 m² house & yard
    280 m² coach house, kitchen, stables & yard
    1898B-588
    B-589
    Hermann Schepers, schoemaker240 m² house & yard
    280 m² coach house, kitchen, stables & yard
    1901B-734R.C. church of Bredevoort21.023 m² house, sheds, yard & garden
    1909B-792R.C. church of Bredevoort13.373 m² house, hospital,
    shed & garden
    1952B-979R.C. church of Bredevoort13.538 m² house, stables,
    hospital & garden
    1988B-1265St. Verzorgingshuis Sint Bernardus 2.760 m² “BWT”

    Features


    Cadastral no.B-1963
    FunctionResidential property,
    Sanatorium,
    Retirement home,
    Hospitality
    Year of construction1764
    MonumentGemeentelijk
    monument

    Residents

    Period 1823-1850

    Bredevoort 45

    Arnoldus Florentinus Roelvink (Borculo, 23-12-1789), burgemeester
    Elzabé Maria Theodora ten Cate (Neede, 21 juli 1798)

    Bredevoort 46

    Theodora Sophia Roelvink (Bredevoort, 09-11-1760)

    Period 1838-1850

    Bredevoort 77

    Arnoldus Florentinus Roelvink (Borculo, 23-12-1789), burgemeester
    Elzabé Maria Theodora ten Cate (Neede, 21 juli 1798)

    Bredevoort 78

    Theodora Sophia Roelvink (Bredevoort, 09-11-1760)

    Period 1850-1860

    Bredevoort 77

    Arnoldus Florentinus Roelvink (Borculo, 23-12-1789), burgemeester
    Elzabe Maria Theodora ten Cate (Neede, 21 juli 1798)

    Bredevoort 78

    Theodora Sophia Roelvink (Bredevoort, 09-11-1760)

    Period 1860-1870

    Bredevoort 77

    Elzabe Maria Theodora ten Cate (Neede, 21 juli 1798)

    Bredevoort 78

    ?

    Period 1870-1880

    Bredevoort 84

    Elzabe Maria Theodora ten Cate (Neede, 21 juli 1798)

    Bredevoort 85

    Leonard Roelvink (Bredevoort, 30-04-1833), burgemeester
    Christina Paschen (Winterswijk, 27-03-1848)

    Period 1880-1890

    Bredevoort 101

    Elzabe Maria Theodora ten Cate (Neede, 21 juli 1798)

    Bredevoort 102

    Leonard Roelvink (Bredevoort, 30-04-1833), burgemeester
    Christina Paschen (Winterswijk, 27-03-1848)

    Period 1890-1900

    Bredevoort 85a

    Heinrich Nuijken (Gahlen/D, 11-09-1833)
    Anna Velthacke (Vreden/D, 16-05-1834)

    Bredevoort 85

    Christina Paschen (Winterswijk, 27-03-1848)

    Next residents:

    Hermann Schepers (Weseke/D, 17-08-1828), schoemaker
    Elisabeth Dieckmann (Alpen/D, 24-12-1840)

    Period 1900-1910

    Bredevoort 83a

    Heinrich Nuijken (Gahlen/D, 11-09-1833)
    Anna Velthacke (Vreden/D, 16-05-1834)

    Next residents:

    Catharina Niemeijer (Salzbergen/D, 28-11-1856)

    Here follows a long list of nurses and schoolteachers.

    Continued list of residents:

    Bredevoort 83a > 084

    More (a.o.) foster sisters, teachers, sisters of charity, as well as patients.

    Bredevoort 83 > 85

    Hermann Schepers (Weseke/D, 17-08-1828), schoemaker
    Elisabeth Dieckmann (Alpen/D, 24-12-1840)

    Period 1910-1920

    Bredevoort 84 > 60

    ?

    Bredevoort 85 > 61

    Hermann Schepers (Weseke/D, 17-08-1828), schoemaker
    Elisabeth Dieckmann (Alpen/D, 24-12-1840)

    Address directory 1934

    Bredevoort 60 > ‘t Zand 15

    St Bernard’s Institution

    Address directory 1967

    ‘t Zand 23

    St Bernard’s Institution

  • The Latin School in Bredevoort

    The Latin School in Bredevoort

    Het steedje Breedevoort, 1743

    Bredevoort in 1743 by Jan de Beijer, for illustration purposes

    In the eighteenth century, the fortified town of Bredevoort was home to a Latin School — an educational institution where boys were prepared for a university or ecclesiastical career.1 Although no physical remains exist, several archival records offer a glimpse into the existence of this school.

    A teacher from Molsberg

    The first indication comes from the Oprechte Haerlemsche Courant of 1 November 1763, in which Lotharius Frederik Wurm advertises that he has been working as a praeceptor (teacher) in Bredevoort for two years. His appointment therefore dates from approximately 1761. He announces his intention to start a boarding school and offers lessons in Latin, High German, French, history, rhetoric, poetry, and psalm singing.2

    Less than a month later, on 26 November 1763, an almost identical advertisement appears in the Amsterdamsche Courant.3 A year after that, on 13 September 1764, another similar advertisement follows in the Oprechte Haerlemsche Courant.4 This shows that Wurm actively and repeatedly presented himself to recruit pupils.

    On 29 October 1765, he appears in the newspaper again, this time as rector of the Latin School in Bredevoort, appointed by “His Serene Highness the Hereditary Stadtholder.” In this capacity, he offered tuition in Latin, Greek, history, rhetoric, and poetry, alongside private lessons in French and High German.5

    Wurm originated from Molsberg, in the Electorate of Trier (now Germany). He married Elisabet Eliveret in Bredevoort on 9 August 1764.6 He passed away before September 1774, as Elisabet remarried at that time as the “widow of the late Lotharius Fredericus Wurm.” 7

    A schoolmaster with ecclesiastical duties

    On 26 March 1773, it is noted in the Marriage Register of the Dutch Reformed Congregation of Bredevoort that Alette Diemont, widow of schoolmaster Jan Hendrik Prevenier, is handing over the marriage register. The entry reads:

    “Anno 26 March 1773, received this booklet from Juffr. Alette Diemont, widow of the Schoolmaster of this city, Jan Hendrik Prevenier.”
    — signed: H. Conradi, senior sijn
    8

    This note confirms that Prevenier was a schoolmaster. The fact that he was in charge of the marriage register indicates that he was also responsible for maintaining church records — a task often performed in small towns by the schoolmaster or precentor.9

    Additionally, Prevenier is mentioned in other sources as the city steward (stadsrentmeester), responsible for the financial administration of Bredevoort.10 This makes it clear that he fulfilled a central role not only in education and the church, but also in the municipal administration. It is plausible that he was associated with the Latin School, as in small towns the roles of schoolmaster and teacher at the Latin School were often combined.11 While this is not explicitly recorded for Bredevoort, given the context, a combination of functions is highly likely.

    Location unknown

    The exact location of the Latin School in Bredevoort is unknown. It may have been no more than a room in or near the church, or the teacher’s residence — as was common elsewhere in small towns in Gelderland.12 The presence of such a facility in a small town like Bredevoort nonetheless indicates a relatively high level of education and culture in the 18th century.13

    Sources


    1. Latijnse School (Wikipedia) ↩︎
    2. Oprechte Haerlemsche Courant, 1 November 1763 (Delpher) ↩︎
    3. Amsterdamsche Courant, 26 November 1763 (Delpher) ↩︎
    4. Oprechte Haerlemsche Courant, 13 September 1764 (Delpher) ↩︎
    5. Oprechte Haerlemsche Courant, 29 October 1765 (Delpher) ↩︎
    6. Aalten, trouwboek, 9 August 1764 (Genealogiedomein) ↩︎
    7. Aalten, trouwboek, september 1774 (Genealogiedomein) ↩︎
    8. Bredevoort, trouwboek 1639-1981 (Genealogiedomein) ↩︎
    9. A.Th. van Deursen, Bavianen en Slijkgeuzen (1974) ↩︎
    10. Erfgoedcentrum Achterhoek en Liemers, Doetinchem. Toegang 0098 Drost en Geërfden van Bredevoort, 1608-1794 (Rekeningen van stadsrentmeester Jan Hendrik Prevenier; afgehoord 1773) ↩︎
    11. W. Frijhoff & M. Spies, 1650: Bevochten eendracht (1999) ↩︎
    12. A.J. van der Aa, Aardrijkskundig Woordenboek der Nederlanden (1839–1851) ↩︎
    13. J.L. van Zanden e.a., Nederland 1780–1914 (2000) ↩︎
  • Johannes Holthus Turret Clock

    Johannes Holthus Turret Clock

    Late in 1664, the Bredevoort church council commissioned Joannes Holthus to construct a new clockwork mechanism for the church tower, as the old one was worn out. It was installed in 1666, marking the beginning of an eventful history that ultimately concluded right where it once began: the Sint Joriskerk (St George’s Church) in Bredevoort.

    In the year 1664, the Netherlands was still the Republic of the Seven United Provinces. Johan de Witt governed the country and Michiel de Ruyter ruled the high seas. In the eastern corner of Guelders lay the small town of Bredevoort. Joannes Verschage was the minister here, and Gerhard van Hengel and Bernard Ecckervelt served as the churchwardens.

    If you wanted to know roughly what time it was back then, you looked at the sundial which is still present on the exterior wall of the church. But if the sun was not shining, you depended on the clockwork in the church tower. However, that was not working well; it was dilapidated and out of order, according to the church management. A new clock was required.

    Joannes Holthus

    The church management entered into negotiations with clockmaker Joannes Holthus from Arnhem. In December 1664, they signed a contract stipulating that Holthus would deliver a clock within eighteen months that would strike the hours and half-hours. The agreed price was 300 Carolus guilders, of which 50 guilders was paid as an advance. The clock was delivered neatly on time; by the summer of 1666, it stood in the tower. Afterwards, however, it emerged that the agreed sum was insufficient.

    In 1667, all parties signed for an additional sum of 228 guilders. Yet problems must have arisen regarding the payment. Holthus was forced to litigate in court. He fell into poverty, had to enter service somewhere, and had to leave or give up his children, ultimately dying in penury. Following his death, his daughter Jasperina continued the lawsuit until at least 1692. We do not know the outcome.

    Through the centuries

    After some time, a striking train was added to the turret clock, which also struck the quarters before and after the hour. A chime (voorspel) that announced the strikes was also introduced. This possibly occurred in 1680, a year that is engraved into the ironwork. In 1886, the clock was restored by Gerrit Jan Heinen from IJzerlo, who lived at the ‘Klokkemaker‘ farmstead.

    Following nearly three centuries of faithful service, the clock was replaced in 1942 by a new mechanical turret clock. The old clock went to Aalten, where it spent a period gathering dust in the fire station. Afterwards, it ended up in the Aalten Oudheidkamer (historical museum), which was later incorporated into the Frerikshuus Museum and ultimately the Nationaal Onderduikmuseum. In 2017, the clock became a municipal monument.

    Back to Bredevoort

    However, the Bredevoort clock no longer fitted the museum’s concept, and an alternative location had to be found for it — preferably a place where the public could admire it. At the beginning of 2025, local interest group Bredevoorts Belang took over the turret clock. Reinstalling it in the tower of the Sint Joriskerk was no longer possible. The church’s interior committee proposed placing the clock in the church loft (boerenzolder), and the church council agreed.

    The 1666 clock by Joannes Holthus now takes pride of place in the church loft, and everything is still in working order!

    Technical Description

    The turret clock consists of two interconnected segments. The segment containing the striking trains is 120 cm long, 65 cm wide, and 104 cm high. The section with the time train (gaande werk) and the chime mechanism (speelwerk) is 81 cm long, 58 cm wide, and 104 cm high. The following texts have been applied to forged strips:

    JOANNES HOLTHUS ME FECIT (made me) 1666. JOANNES VERSCHAGÆ PASTOR HUIUS ECCLESIÆ (shepherd of this church) GERHARD VAN HENGEL DR. BERNARD ECCKERVELT KERKMEISTEREN IN BREDEVORT“.

    The clock is equipped with a double striking train, which kept Bredevoort on time by striking on both the hours and the half-hours. Furthermore, fifteen minutes before and after the hours, four tones resonated from three bells.

    The corner posts are decorated with a beautifully forged scroll. The connections consist primarily of cotter pins. The entire mechanism stands on a wooden platform (beun). A large block of sandstone functions as the driving weight; this stone is almost certainly original. The stone hangs from a rope of braided hemp, as does all the other ropework. The entire mechanism works perfectly.

    The clock is described in the book: Achterhoekse klokken en uurwerkmakers, by J.L. Sellink, A.F. Abbink, and R.E. Wiggers, (ISBN 90-9003816-7). On page 8, Mr Wiggers writes about the clock, stating among other things: “The escapement consists of a Graham escapement with a tooth shape according to Schwilgué; this must have been built in after 1715. The chime, however, appears to be original and constructed directly in 1666. The current position for the time train is also authentic, and its winding arbor is likewise identical to the other three arbors.”

  • Bredevoort Castle

    Bredevoort Castle

    Bredevoort Castle, 3D impression by Paul van Druten

    Bredevoort Castle was a fortress in the heart of the eponymous town and former Lordship of Bredevoort in the County of Zutphen within the Duchy of Guelders. It was one of the most significant castles in Gelderland. During the 13th and 14th centuries, Bredevoort Castle played a major role in the struggle between Guelders and Münsterland.

    The castle was first mentioned in 1188 on a list of properties belonging to the Diocese of Cologne as “Castrum Breidervort“. At that time, the castle was a site of contention. Consequently, it had multiple owners, leading to a centuries-long struggle for control. In 1238, the castle came into the hands of Ludolf van Steinfurt and Herman van Lohn as a shared inheritance. The castle was to be fortified, with both parties sharing the costs. In 1278, the fortress was destroyed by Count Everhard I von der Mark during an act of revenge. Following this, the castle remained a ruin for 23 years. A deed of sale from 1284 refers to the “area castri Bredevort”.

    After years of conflict over Bredevoort between Münster and Guelders, the castle eventually returned to the hands of Count Herman van Lohn II in 1301. In that year, the bishops of Münster and Cologne pledged to assist Herman van Lohn with the restoration of the fortress. In the turbulent times that followed, the fortress frequently changed hands between Münster and Guelders through combat or sale. The bishops of Münster and Cologne were required to jointly fund the reconstruction of Bredevoort Castle.

    After centuries of fighting over the castle, the Bishop of Münster abandoned the struggle and sought peace negotiations. Following years of negotiation, peace was finally signed on June 28, 1326, with the Treaty of Wesel. This significant treaty was also signed by the cities of Zutphen, Groenlo, Emmerich, and Arnhem. As a result, Reinoud II of Guelders acquired the pledge of the jurisdictions in Winterswijk, Aalten, and Dinxperlo, as well as the County of Bredevoort. This move definitively incorporated the area into Gelderland.

    Floor plan

    In 1562, the lord of the manor of Bredevoort, Diederik van Bronckhorst-Batenburg, Lord of Anholt, commissioned a floor plan of the castle at Bredevoort. This plan also described the functions and structural condition of the various components. Measurements were recorded in Rhineland feet. A Rhineland foot is over 31 cm long. The castle was a rectangle measuring 42 m long and 36 m wide. The walls were approximately 65 cm thick. An earthen rampart surrounded the castle, with roundels at the corners. The rampart was approximately 2 m wide.

    Explanations of the descriptions on the floor plan (translated from old script):

    1. This vault will collapse if it is not repaired soon.
    2. Here is the staircase leading to the knights’ hall.
    3. This wall is dilapidated. The vertical beams are rotted at the bottom. This is a large hall: 47 feet long and 23 feet wide, measured from the inside. Beneath it is a cellar. The floor consists of beams and planks and is finished with floor tiles. There is only one attic above the hall.
    4. This is a staircase to enter the large hall.
    5. This is the kitchen, 21 feet long and 23 feet wide. Beneath it is a cellar of the same size as the cellar under the large hall.
    6. This shed was built by Drost Isendoorn. The walls are masonry set between beams.
    7. This is the rampart that runs around the castle.
    8. This is a very dilapidated shed, much like a pigsty.
    9. The prison tower. It is 38 feet square (measured from the outside). The walls are 8½ feet thick. [This tower was likely used later as a powder tower, Ed.]
    10. Here are two roundels.
    11. The Drost’s chamber (Maarschalcksekamer) above the gate. [The name ‘Maarschalckse kamer’ dates from the period 1534-1555 when Marshal Maarten van Rossum was Drost of Bredevoort, Ed.]
    12. This is the chapel.
    13. From here, the hearth of the knights’ hall is stoked.
    14. This is the knights’ hall. The room is 36 feet long and 19 feet wide. Below this are the rooms of the burgrave (castle warden) and the steward. The gate entrance is also located below here.
    15. This wall is in good condition, as far as it can be seen above the rampart.
    16. This wall is built between wooden beams and has a thickness of half a brick. [The bricks used were ‘kloostermoppen’ of approximately 14 cm in width, Ed.]
    17. A dilapidated spiral staircase.
    18. Another room. Below this is a laundry room. Because the rampart rests against the laundry room, the wall is rotted. The stones are loose.
    19. This wall is largely built between wooden beams and is very dilapidated.
    20. This contains the grain mill and the baking ovens. Above is the servant’s room, with two attics and a chimney.
    21. This is where the Drost sleeps. The room is 28 feet long and 23 feet wide. Beneath it is a meat cellar.
    22. This room is divided in two. The floor is made of wood. The meat cellar also lies beneath this area.
    23. This upper room is called the salon (state room, armory). Below it is the armor room.
    24. Here the rampart touches the wall, causing the wall to let in moisture and show defects. The wall is very thick, and if the water could be kept out, it would likely provide some improvement.
    25. These two rooms, as well as the granary, are located above the bakehouse and brewhouse.
    26. This drawing was made in Arnhem after everything was measured as accurately as possible. The drawing is fairly accurate. However, in reality, some parts are slightly larger than depicted here, such as the chapel, the spiral staircase in the courtyard, and the prison tower.

    External Appearance

    Not much is known about exactly how Bredevoort Castle looked. While drawings of the castle exist, they are partly based on assumptions and imagination.

    The castle was built on a sandy ridge of approximately 42 x 26 meters, making it one of the larger castles in the Netherlands. Old maps show the main fortress to be a typical concentric castle, featuring double moats and a thick curtain wall. It included an outer bailey with heavy corner towers and a rectangular castle wall equipped with four corner towers, three of which were later lowered to become roundels.

    The castle and the town were separated by a double moat. Access to the castle from the town was via a bridge. One had to pass through two gates, the second of which was equipped with a barbican, and finally a gatehouse in the curtain wall before reaching the inner courtyard. Within the fortress, various buildings stood around a spacious inner court. These depictions changed over time, and the appearance and stature of the castle would have been altered frequently throughout the centuries due to conflict, war, city fires, and other causes.

    Destroyed

    The castle was heavily damaged by the Gunpowder Tower Disaster in 1646. Following this, the castle dominated the cityscape as a ruin for over 150 years until around the end of the 18th century. The last known mention of a visible ruin dates to 1791, recorded in the Bredevoort church council minutes when William V viewed the remains during his visit to Bredevoort. The main building (excluding the outer bailey, roundels, and curtain wall) had dimensions of approximately 42 x 36 meters. This made it one of the larger castles in the Netherlands.

    Remains

    Today, the remains of the castle—in the form of foundations, vaults, tunnels, and rubble—lie beneath and around the ‘t Zand square and the Hozenstraat in the heart of the town. In the spring of 2009, during archaeological research around the former school on ‘t Zand, part of the foundations was uncovered. Wall remains between 2.5 and 4 meters thick were found. On ‘t Zand square, foundations of the barbican were discovered. The contours of this gatehouse have been made visible in the paving with brass-colored bands.

    Sources