Archives: Adressen

  • Slicher van Bathstraat 7-9

    Slicher van Bathstraat 7-9

    Aalten

    Residents

    Address directory 1967

    Slicher van Bathstraat 7

    Mrs. A. Knuivers-Oosterbeek
    A. Zijlstra
    E. Morsink

    Slicher van Bathstraat 9

    W. van Essen

    Features


    Cadastral no.I-8552/8553
    FunctionHouse
    Year of construction1938
    Listedno
  • Streets in Heurne

    Streets in Heurne

    This page is still under construction. Other districts will follow later.

    No posts found.
  • Roman Catholic Church Dijkstraat (1859-1893)

    Roman Catholic Church Dijkstraat (1859-1893)

    Aalten

    Between the current addresses of Dijkstraat 2 and 4, there was originally a house occupied by two families. This house was presumably demolished around 1857, after which a Catholic church was built on this location in 1859. This church was destroyed by fire in 1893 and was not rebuilt. Today, a garden is located here, belonging to the former rectory.

    Previously, a house occupied by two families stood at this location. In 1859, a Catholic church was built here. This church was destroyed by fire in 1893 and was not rebuilt. Today, a garden is located at this site.

    Since 1800, the Roman Catholics of Aalten worshipped in a barn church in the Kerkstraat. After five decades, this church proved too small for the growing parish. During the Saint Nicholas market, which began with a church service, the attendance was sometimes so large that people attended the service outside in the bitter cold. A site for a new church was sought and found at the beginning of the Dijkstraat.

    Construction of the Roman Catholic Church on the Dijkstraat (1859–1893)

    Funds were raised for the construction of a church with a rectory, and on May 4, 1859, the new Waterstaatskerk was consecrated. The church stood between the current addresses Dijkstraat 2 (former RC rectory) and Dijkstraat 4 (where the Van den Dobbelsteen bakery was located until 2022).

    Fire

    On May 10, 1893, a fire broke out diagonally opposite the church, in houses on the Kerkstraat. The firefighters’ attention was entirely focused on extinguishing this fire. Orders were given to the firefighters, and they labored at the pumps. The wind was north-easterly, and the buildings close to the burning plots, which were downwind, were kept well-watered. However, the church, which was further away, was ignored until smoke clouds suddenly rose from the roof and tower.

    The word spread from mouth to mouth: “the church is on fire.” Great consternation took hold of the population, the Catholics in particular. The church treasures had to be moved to safety, and they succeeded in doing so. The fire brigade was powerless. They had to keep the nearby plots wet, and now that the church was added to the blaze, they no longer knew how to act. It was a fantastic spectacle in the evening. The entire population of Aalten had flocked together to watch the drama unfold.

    The last strikes heard from the tower clock were at half past eleven. Then the spire collapsed and a sea of sparks swirled through the sky. It was over. Nothing but ruins remained. Fortunately, the rectory was spared.

    New Construction

    What now? The adjacent school, to which a shed was added, was set up as a church, and means had to be sought to build a new church. The bitter pill was somewhat sweetened because the insurance was generous with the compensation. No less than approximately 26,000 guilders was paid out.

    Since a new building had to be constructed anyway, a larger site was sought. This was found a little further along, on the other side of the Dijkstraat. There, the new RC church was built.


    Earlier buildings

    Before the construction of the church in 1859, a house stood on this location, occupied by two families. This house was demolished around 1857 (?).


    Owners

    Overview is incomplete.

    YearPlotOwnerDescription
    1832I-1243
    I-1246
    Berend Wevers
    Gerrit Jan Scholten
    64 m² house & yard
    133 m² house & yard

    Residents

    1813

    Aalten 50

    Half house and garden

    Jan Willem Duenk (Barlo, 1751-02-10), day laborer
    Berent Wevers (Aalten, 1785-02-06), son, tailor
    Gradus Wevers (Aalten, 1799), son

    2 males
    2 females
    1 son

    Aalten 51

    Half house and garden

    Gerrit Jan Scholten (Lintelo, 1764-07-29), day laborer

    1 male
    1 female
    2 sons
    2 daughters

    Population register 1823-1838

    Aalten 50

    Berend Wevers (Aalten, 1785-02-06), laborer
    Johanna Catharina Roerdinkveldboom (Winterswijk, 1789-02-02)

    Aalten 51

    Gerrit Jan Scholten (Lintelo, 1764-07-29), laborer
    Willemina Sluiskes (Aalten, 1775-08-31)

    Population register 1838-1850

    Aalten 48

    Berend Wevers (Aalten, 1785-02-06), laborer
    Johanna Catharina Roerdinkveldboom (Winterswijk, 1789-02-02)

    Aalten 49

    Gerrit Jan Scholten (Lintelo, 1764-07-29), laborer
    Willemina Sluiskes (Aalten, 1775-08-31)

    Population register 1850-1860

    Aalten 48

    Jan Hendrik Wevers (Aalten, 1816-11-12), weaver
    Christina Aleida Winkelhorst (Aalten, 1804-02-14)

    Aalten 49

    Derk Antonij Doornink (Aalten, 1809-11-14), farmer
    Antonetta Willemina Scholten (Aalten, 1813-01-29)

    Features


    Cadastral no.I-11435
    FunctionChurch
    Year of construction1859
    Burned down1893

    Sources


  • Patrimoniumstraat 33

    Patrimoniumstraat 33

    Aalten

    Owners

    This overview is incomplete.

    YearPlotOwnerDescription

    Residents

    Address directory 1967

    Patrimoniumstraat 33

    H.J. te Brake

    Features


    Cadastral no.I-13290
    FunctionHouse
    Year of construction1920
    Listedno
  • Kruisdijk 16

    Kruisdijk 16

    IJzerlo

    A former freezer building of approximately 50 m² is also located on the plot, currently in use as a storage shed.


    Owners

    This overview is incomplete.

    YearPlotOwnerDescription

    Residents

    Address directory 1967

    IJzerlo 112/1 > Kruisdijk 16

    J.C. Tolkamp

    Features


    Cadastral no.S-128
    FunctionHouse
    Year of construction1954
    Listedno
  • De Meiberg

    De Meiberg

    Meiberg 23/1, Aalten

    Meiberg 23/1, Aalten (Congregation of Christians)
    Photo: G. Schreurs (2024)

    Meeting hall of the Congregation of Christians.


    Address directory 1967

    Meiberg 23/1

    Meeting hall of the Assembly of Believers

    Features


    Cadastral no.I-9434
    FunctionMeeting hall
    Year of construction1965
    Listedno
  • Ringkampsbulten

    Ringkampsbulten

    The Ringkampsbulten is a small nature reserve in the Aalten hamlet of Haart, situated between Kriegerdijk and Huiskermatedijk. The area consists of mixed woodland on partly hilly terrain. The cover-sand ridge within the forest sits at 41 metres above NAP (Normal Amsterdam Peil), making it the highest point in the municipality of Aalten.

    In 1932 werd gedacht dat het een grafheuvel was, maar uit een kleine testopgraving bleek het om een natuurlijke heuvel te gaan. Buiten de heuvel werd echter wel een urn uit de IJzertijd (tot Vroeg-Romeins) gevonden, waardoor de naamgeving niet geheel onterecht is.

    The cover-sand ridge consists of mixed forest with a high percentage of conifers. The lower, damper section to the south of the ridge primarily contains deciduous trees, including many alders. Along the walking path on the southern side, there is avenue planting in the form of pedunculate oaks.

    The Ringkampsbulten is part of the Gelders Natuurnetwerk (Nature Network of Gelderland). The area is surrounded by agricultural land, making it a unique oasis for both flora and fauna. Measures have been taken to develop the woodland into a ‘natural stepping stone’, with the aim of promoting high biodiversity. This involves pursuing a varied forest structure with edges rich in texture and open clearings. Species that benefit from such a stepping stone include the White Admiral and the Purple Emperor butterflies.

    The site has developed into a valuable piece of nature where rare plants and animals can flourish. For walkers and nature enthusiasts, De Ringkampsbulten offers a peaceful spot to enjoy the landscape, featuring beautiful views and varied vegetation. It is a lesser-known but cherished piece of nature among local residents, partly due to its tranquillity and small scale.

    Sources


  • Cattle Weighbridge

    Cattle Weighbridge

    Stationsstraat, Aalten

    Next to Aalten railway station, diagonally opposite Hotel De Besker, a cattle weighbridge stood until the mid-1960s or even 1970s (?). The weighbridge was part of the Agricultural Cooperative Society and served for the inspection and weighing of livestock intended for slaughter.

    After inspection, the livestock was transported to its final destination by road or rail. That destination could, in fact, be very close by, namely the municipal slaughterhouse (later KSA) on the other side of the railway line.


    Owners

    This list is incomplete.

    YearPlotOwnerDescription
    1910I-4956Geldersch Overijsselsche
    Locaal Spoorwegmij.
    4,765 m² cattle weighbridge and railway
    1911I-5420Geldersch Overijsselsche
    Locaal Spoorwegmij.
    48 m² cattle weighbridge
    1921I-5420Hollandsche IJzeren
    Spoorweg Maatschappij
    48 m² cattle weighbridge
    1938I-5420N.V. Nederlandse Spoorwegen48 m² cattle weighbridge
    1957I-8103N.V. Nederlandse Spoorwegen5,033 m² railway line, sheds,
    cattle weighbridge
    1963I-8954N.V. Nederlandse Spoorwegen24,340 m² station, warehouse,
    sheds, cattle weighbridge, railway

    Newspaper reports

    Features


    Cadastral no.K-2785
    FunctionCattle Weighbridge
    Year of constructionca. 1910
    Demolitionca. 1963–1975
  • Albert Heijn

    Albert Heijn

    Bodendijk, Lage Blik & De Hoven, Aalten

    Albert Heijn, De Hoven 25, Aalten (2023)

    Albert Heijn has been a household name in Aalten for decades, but the supermarket has occupied several locations over the years. The first Albert Heijn branch in Aalten was situated on Bodendijk. Later, ‘Appie’ moved to Lage Blik. The premises on Bodendijk were subsequently occupied by the footwear and sportswear retailer Scapino.

    On Wednesday 2 July 2008, Albert Heijn opened a new branch at De Hoven, on the site previously occupied by Edah (from 1993) and later Golff (2007–2008). The building on Lage Blik was later taken over by the retail chain Action.

    The Albert Heijn at De Hoven was located above the library. Due to the differences in elevation in Aalten’s town centre, both the supermarket and the library were able to have their entrances at street level, with the latter situated on the lower-lying Hogestraat.

    In 2023, the Albert Heijn at De Hoven underwent a major expansion and transformation. The shop floor grew from 1,300 to 2,800 square metres. The library below moved to Lage Blik, after which the vacated space was converted into a multi-storey car park. Three apartments were also created above the supermarket.

    The new premises also house a Gall & Gall off-licence and a patisserie with a coffee corner by Kasper Paul.

    Features


    FunctionSupermarket

    Albert Heijn in Aalten through the years:

  • Aalten Police

    Aalten Police

    Landstraat 18

    The first known predecessor of a police station in Aalten can be found on Landstraat, in the building that currently houses Ter Maat barbershop.

    The accompanying drawing of the building in question was made by the Aalten artist Willy Walvoort, who passed away in 2018. He wrote: “The village school in 1824. Above: the entrance was on the church hill. Below: on Landstraat, the night watch, prison, and fire brigade.”

    It is (as yet) unknown until when the night watch and/or constables had their headquarters here. We also do not yet know which other addresses served as police stations before 1941.

    Markt 3

    In 1941, the Aalten municipal police moved into the characteristic building with the elegant bell gable at Markt 3. When the station was put into use, Chief Constable Wijnands was the head of the Aalten police. In 1947, the municipal police transitioned into the national police.

    After the war, the municipal services suffered from a lack of space. In 1949, the municipality of Aalten therefore purchased a building on the opposite side of the Markt (number 4) to house the police station.

    The Social Services office was housed in Markt 3. Today, the building is still part of the Aalten town hall.

    Markt 4

    The building at Markt 4 was privately inhabited before the war and had a notorious reputation in Aalten during the war, as it had served as the clubhouse for the NSB (National Socialist Movement). After the war, the building fell under the Management department of the Council for the Restoration of Rights. They sold the building to the municipality of Aalten in 1949, and the local police station was established there.

    In 1969, the Tubantia newspaper reported that the municipality of Aalten had informed the Government Buildings Agency that they were terminating the lease of the police station. The municipal services were once again bursting at the seams and desperately needed the space. The police moved to a new station on Polstraat.

    Shortly before the move, the garage collapsed behind the police station, which was located on Peperstraat.

    The building at Markt 4 now houses the catering establishment De Geste.

    Polstraat 36

    As early as February 1963, the site on the corner of Polstraat and Bonifaciusstraat was purchased by the municipality of Aalten, including the small farmhouse of the widow Scholten. It was likely already the intention then to demolish it and realize a new police station and a number of houses on the site.

    In 1965, the Aalten municipal council discussed the private sale of a section of the building plot, measuring 1,500 square metres, for the construction of a group and district office for the National Police (Rijkspolitie) in Aalten.

    It would take until the early 1970s before the new police station was completed. The Aalten police remained stationed here until 2018, when they moved to the Köstersbulte. A dental practice has since established itself in the former police station on Polstraat.

    Köstersbulte 2

    Since 2018, the police have had a support point in the town hall, with its own entrance on Köstersbulte. The support point serves as a workplace for community officers during their shifts. There are no official opening hours. If someone wishes to file a report, for example, it is advised to make an appointment.

    In the last century, this building housed the Oberink drapery shop for decades.

  • Streets in Barlo

    Streets in Barlo

    This page is still under construction. Other districts will follow later.

    No posts found.
  • Streets in Dale

    Streets in Dale

    This page is still under construction. Other districts will follow later.

  • Hollenberg

    Hollenberg

    Dale

    From door to door

    Gallow's Hill Bredevoort, Vehmic Court 't Walfort

    Gallows Hill

    This is where ‘criminals, witches, and other scum’ were executed.
  • Warenhuis Geling

    Warenhuis Geling

    Landstraat 5, Aalten

    Landstraat 5 in Aalten is a characteristic residential and commercial building dating from 1911, built for the Heijmans firm, drapers and cloth merchants. The new building replaced an older house on the same site. The Aalten architect Jan Brill was responsible for the design.

    In the 1930s, Bulten’s Bloemenhuis (flower shop) established itself here, and two greenhouses were erected at the rear of the property. In 1947, the narrow northern section of the building—originally consisting of a room, kitchen, and upper room—was incorporated into the business. The ground floor then housed a garage/workshop, a florist’s workshop, a small kitchen, and an office, with a storage attic above.

    Geling’s Department Store

    In the late 1950s, S.H.J. Geling established a department store here, specialising in household goods and toys. Under his instruction, the building underwent extensive renovations in 1960, based on a design by H.A. and J.L.F. Waalders. During this project, the building was fitted with new shopfronts and a modernised layout.

    Three years later, in 1963, a significant expansion followed on the western side, including additional shop and warehouse space, also designed by the Waalders architectural firm from Winterswijk. In the following decades (1960s and 1970s), the shop and its facade were further modernised, and the workshop was integrated into the retail area.

    Following the closure of Geling’s department store, Theissen Tweewielers (a bicycle shop) occupied the premises for some time. Currently (2025), the building has been vacant for many years.


    Owners

    Overview is incomplete.

    YearPlotOwnerDescription
    1832I-1269
    I-1270
    I-1271
    I-1272
    widow of Jan Hendrik Brethouwer 38 m² house & yard
    51 m² house & yard
    192 m² house & yard
    350 m² garden

    Residents

    1813

    Aalten 63

    Jan Hendrik Brethouwer (Aalten, 14-06-1761), cloth merchant

    1 man
    1 woman

    Population register 1823-1838

    Aalten 63

    Harmina (Hendrika) Manschot (Aalten, 21-12-1766), shopkeeper
    widow of Jan Hendrik Brethouwer

    Next residents:

    Joseph Wilhelm Stephan Blomesath (Bocholt, 26-12-1806), weaver
    Johanna Magdalena Vultink (Aalten, 21-03-1811)

    Population register 1838-1850

    Aalten 60

    Joseph Wilhelm Stephan Blomesath (Bocholt, 26-12-1806), weaver
    Johanna Magdalena Vultink (Aalten, 21-03-1811)

    Next residents:

    Derk Prins (Aalten, 09-09-1794), farmer
    Willemina Aleida Freriks (Aalten, 30-11-1801)

    Next residents:

    Johan Henrich Geuting (Bocholt, 06-03-1808), cotton spinner
    Johanna Hafkenscheid (Ulft, 23-08-1803)

    Next residents:

    Derk Hendrik Gerhardus Brethouwer (Aalten, 25-02-1794), farmer
    Johanna te Bokkel (Aalten, 15-02-1807)

    Population register 1850-1860

    Aalten 60

    Derk Hendrik Gerhardus Brethouwer (Aalten, 25-02-1794), farmer
    Johanna te Bokkel (Aalten, 15-02-1807)

    Next residents:

    Johan Wilhelm Carl Schmeinck (Bocholt, 26-02-1803), office clerk
    Antonetta Kramer (Aalten, 16-08-1816)

    Next residents:

    Population register 1860-1870

    Aalten 60

    Hendrikus Brethouwer (Aalten, 06-08-1823), grocer
    Everdina Wilhelmina Margaretha Smits (Winterswijk, 18-07-1834)

    Next residents:

    Population register 1870-1880

    Aalten 75

    Maria Adriana Ledeboer (Oud Beijerland, 04-09-1815)

    Next residents:

    Nathan Salomon Heijmans (Groenlo, 14-11-1826), merchant
    Bettij van Oss (Emden/D, 12-01-1847)

    Population register 1880-1890

    Aalten 83

    Nathan Salomon Heijmans (Groenlo, 14-11-1826), merchant
    Bettij van Oss (Emden/D, 12-01-1847)

    Population register 1890-1900

    Aalten 79

    Nathan Salomon Heijmans (Groenlo, 14-11-1826), clothier
    Bettij van Oss (Emden/D, 12-01-1847)

    Population register 1900-1910

    Aalten A101 > A130

    Nathan Salomon Heijmans (Groenlo, 14-11-1826), clothier
    Bettij van Oss (Emden/D, 12-01-1847)

    Next (head) resident, son:

    Simon Nathan Heijmans (Aalten, 01-11-1877), clothier

    Population register 1910-1920

    Aalten A130 > 131

    Simon Nathan Heijmans (Aalten, 01-11-1877), clothier

    Address directory 1934

    Aalten A131 > Landstraat 5

    N.S. Heijmans

    Address directory 1967

    Landstraat 5

    S.H.J. Geling

    Features


    Cadastral no.I-8118
    FunctionResidential house,
    Shop
    ArchitectJan Brill
    Year of construction1911
    ListedGemeentelijk
    monument

    Sources


  • Kingdom Hall

    Kingdom Hall

    Slaadreef 4, Aalten

    The Kingdom Hall is the meeting place of the Jehovah’s Witnesses.


    Owners

    Overview is incomplete.

    YearPlotOwnerDescription
    1976I-9835Foundation for the Construction and Operation of
    Kingdom Halls in Winterswijk and surrounding areas
    2,005 m² of pasture

    Features


    Cadastral no.I-11608
    FunctionPlace of worship
    Year of construction1975 (?)
    Listedno
  • Van Herwaarden Coppersmith Workshop

    Van Herwaarden Coppersmith Workshop

    Peperstraat 4 (a), Aalten

    At this location once lived the Van Herwaarden family, a lineage of coppersmiths who operated a workshop here for approximately 125 years until 1850. Around 1725, the couple Everhard van Herwaarden and Berendina van Isendoorn settled in Aalten, initially living with Berendina’s father, Abraham van Isendoorn, a man of high social standing. They subsequently established a coppersmith workshop on the small street that later became known as Peperstraat.

    Generations later, their children and grandchildren also lived in Weesp, Naarden, and Amsterdam, including Jacobus Hendricus van Herwaarden. He was born in 1817 in Weesp, as the son of coppersmith Jacobus Everhardus van Herwaarden and Anna Catharina Berner, a ‘coppersmith-trader’. Jacobus Hendricus moved in with his grandfather Jacob(us), who had taken over the coppersmith workshop in Aalten and saw in him a successor.

    However, this succession in Aalten never came to fruition. In 1837, the twenty-year-old Jacobus Hendricus left for Amsterdam and from there departed for Suriname. In 1848, Jacobus, nearly 89 years old, returned to his city of birth, Amsterdam. This marked the end of the Van Herwaarden coppersmith workshop in Peperstraat.


    Owners

    Overview is incomplete.

    YearPlotOwnerDescription
    1832I-1148Jacobus van Herwaarde240 m² house & yard

    Residents

    Jacobus van Herwaarden (Amsterdam, 21-10-1759 – Amsterdam, 05-01-1854)
    married on 22-03-1789 in Aalten to
    Mette te Kulve (Winterswijk, 23-09-1763 – Aalten, 27-02-1844)

    Jacobus became a church member in Aalten on 07-04-1779.

    Jacobus is mentioned in 1813 as a ‘garçon de chaudronnier’ (coppersmith’s assistant) in the Register Civique of Aalten.

    Population register 1823-1838

    Aalten 254

    Jacobus van Herwaarden (Amsterdam, 21-10-1759 – Amsterdam, 05-01-1854), coppersmith
    Mette te Kulve (Winterswijk, 23-09-1763 – Aalten, 27-02-1844)

    Population register 1838-1850

    Aalten 269

    Jacobus van Herwaarden (Amsterdam, 21-10-1759 – Amsterdam, 05-01-1854), coppersmith
    Mette te Kulve (Winterswijk, 23-09-1763 – Aalten, 27-02-1844)

    Next residents:

    Jacob Simon Schaap (Aalten, 02-02-1813), merchant
    married on 04-02-1836 in Aalten to
    Rebecca van Gelder (Winterswijk, 10-12-1812)

    Population register 1850-1860

    Aalten 269

    Jacob Simon Schaap (Aalten, 02-02-1813), merchant
    Rebecca van Gelder (Winterswijk, 10-12-1812)

    Next residents:

    Cornelis Philippus Jacobus Penning (Zutphen, 04-01-1818), registrar
    married on 18-09-1857 in Aalten to
    Maria Jacoba Bekink (Amsterdam, 24-06-1821)

    Population register 1860-1870

    Aalten 269

    Cornelis Philippus Jacobus Penning (Zutphen, 04-01-1818), registrar
    Maria Jacoba Bekink (Amsterdam, 24-06-1821)

    Population register 1870-1880

    Aalten 346

    Cornelis Philippus Jacobus Penning (Zutphen, 04-01-1818), registrar
    Maria Jacoba Bekink (Amsterdam, 24-06-1821)

    Population register 1880-1890

    Aalten 390

    Cornelis Philippus Jacobus Penning (Zutphen, 04-01-1818), former registrar
    Maria Jacoba Bekink (Amsterdam, 24-06-1821)

    Next residents:

    Jan Hendrik Lensink (Aalten, 05-11-1833), tailor
    married on 05-11-1870 in Aalten to
    Helena Kloss (Wertherbruch/D, 21-04-1839)

    Population register 1890-1900

    Aalten 384

    Jan Hendrik Lensink (Aalten, 05-11-1833), tailor
    Helena Kloss (Wertherbruch/D, 21-04-1839)

    Population register 1900-1910

    Aalten 454 > 509

    Jan Hendrik Lensink (Aalten, 05-11-1833), tailor
    Helena Kloss (Wertherbruch/D, 21-04-1839)

    Next residents, son and daughter-in-law:

    Herman Lensink (Aalten, 21-04-1873), tailor
    married on 03-08-1899 in Aalten to
    Josina Johanna Hoftijzer (Aalten, 28-09-1870)

    Population register 1910-1920

    Aalten C509 > D562

    Herman Lensink (Aalten, 21-04-1873), tailor
    Josina Johanna Hoftijzer (Aalten, 28-09-1870)

    Address directory 1934

    Aalten D562 > Peperstraat 4a

    H. Lensink

    Aalten D562a > Peperstraat 4

    J.H. Lensink

    Address directory 1967

    Peperstraat 4a

    A.A.J. Driessen

    Peperstraat 4

    H. Luimes

    Features


    Cadastral no.I-11118
    FunctionResidential house,
    Coppersmith workshop
    Year of constructionunknown
    Demolitionunknown
  • Fatih Mosque Aalten

    Fatih Mosque Aalten

    Bodendijk 12, Aalten

    The Fatih Mosque on Bodendijk in Aalten has been used as a house of worship for the Turkish Islamic community since 2009. The building previously served as a Reformed Youth Centre and later as a nursery school, before being acquired by the Fatih Aalten Foundation. The mosque is also known by its Turkish name, Fatih Camii.

    Name and Meaning

    The name Fatih Camii literally means “Mosque of the Conqueror”. Fatih refers to the Ottoman Sultan Mehmed II Fatih (1432–1481), nicknamed the Conqueror, who captured Constantinople (present-day Istanbul) in 1453. Camii is the Turkish word for mosque, derived from the Arabic jāmiʿ (جامع), meaning “gathering place”. Many Turkish mosques, including those outside Turkey, bear this name.

    History

    The first gatherings of the Turkish community in Aalten took place in smaller premises, but with the establishment of the Fatih Aalten Foundation, they gained the opportunity to create their own prayer space. In 2009, the building at Bodendijk 12 was officially inaugurated as a mosque.

    Since then, the premises have been adapted to function as an Islamic house of worship. Traditional decorative elements, such as handmade tiles from Turkey, have been installed inside. The building has no minaret or dome, but is recognisable as a mosque by its interior and the layout of the prayer hall, with a mihrab and minbar.

    Function and Activities

    The Fatih Mosque primarily serves as a house of worship, with Friday prayers being the most important weekly gathering. In addition, the mosque plays a broader role in community life:

    • Religious and Quranic lessons are held.
    • The mosque has facilities for Islamic funeral rites (djanazah).
    • Open days and bazaars are regularly organised to introduce local residents to the mosque and Turkish culture.

    The mosque explicitly welcomes the entire Aalten community. On its website, the mosque is described as both a religious and social centre — a place of peace, hospitality, and solidarity, where everyone is welcome for encounters, dialogue, or simply a cup of tea.

    Features


    Cadastral no.K-908
    FunctionYouth Centre,
    Nursery School,
    Mosque
    Year of construction1972
    Listedno
  • Police Station

    Police Station

    Polstraat 36, Aalten (relocated)

    The local police station was based here until 2018. Today, the building houses a dental practice.

    In February 1963, the Municipality of Aalten purchased the land on the corner of Polstraat and Bonifaciusstraat, which at the time occupied a small farm belonging to the widow Scholten. It is likely that the intention was already to demolish the farm and develop a new police station and a number of houses on the site.

    In 1965, the Aalten municipal council discussed the private sale of a section of the building plot, measuring 1,500 square metres, for the construction of a group and district office for the National Police (Rijkspolitie) in Aalten.

    It was not until the early 1970s that the new police station was completed. The Aalten police remained at this location until 2018, when they moved to the Köstersbulte.

    Features


    Cadastral no.I-11909
    FunctionHouse
    Year of construction1971
    Listedno
  • Sunday school Heurne

    Sunday school Heurne

    Brethouwerweg 9, Heurne

    Until 1989, a small Sunday school stood at Brethouwerweg 9 in the Aalten hamlet of Heurne, where Sunday school was held once a week for children up to the age of 12. After reaching that age, they could attend the youth club, which also took place once a week. Occasionally, the building was also used for small parties and gatherings.

    Regarding the old Sunday school, we read in De Graafschapper of 22 October 1937, among other things:

    Commissioning of the new Sunday School hall in Heurne

    Last Wednesday was a happy day for many residents of the hamlet of Heurne near Aalten. On this day, the completely renovated Sunday school hall was festively and officially commissioned. With this, this hamlet has also been released from its so-called isolation regarding a good location to hold meetings.

    It was more than necessary. The old, small building, which had been erected with very primitive means at the time, was in such a desolate state despite various repairs over the years that a new building or a complete renovation proved more than necessary. The latter has now been achieved through the well-meaning cooperation of many within and outside this hamlet. The building itself has, among other things, two reasonably spacious rooms, which are connected in such a way that, in the event of large meetings, etc., one large room can be obtained.

    On Wednesday evening, the official opening took place for the elders and interested parties. The chairman of the Building Committee, Mr H.G. ter Maat, opened this festive gathering by having Psalm 89:1 sung and led in prayer. He then read Psalm 147. In his opening address, he expressed thanks to all who cooperated to achieve the construction and completion of this project.

    After a break, a beautiful report followed from Mr J.W. Colenbrander, secretary of the Building Committee, as well as from Mr H. Navis, treasurer. The delegate of the Boys’ Meeting conveyed congratulations and presented the chairman with a beautiful gift for wall decoration. A recitation by Mr J. Legters closed this second part before a new break.

    Subsequently, Mr S. Wevers spoke on behalf of the Association of Sunday School Teachers. Several recitations by Mr H. Hoftijzer (Veenhuis) and Colenbrander provided the necessary variety. The dialogue by Messrs H. and G. Wesselink and Klein Poelhuis was also superb in one word. Mr H. Nijman spoke an earnest and inspiring word after having told several interesting things from the old days regarding the rise and further development of youth work in Heurne.

    Finally, the chairman thanked everyone who had cooperated in the success of this evening; he then handed over the building to Mr J.H. Jentink, as chairman of the Association that will manage the building. The latter finally spoke a concluding word, after which this festive meeting was ended.

    D’n Heurnsen Tref

    Heurne is a rural district without a central core. There is no school or café and no clear focal point. Therefore, the Heurns Belang (Heurne Interest) association devised a plan to transform the small Sunday school into a slightly larger community centre that could be used for multiple activities. A round of visits to the residents of Heurne to hear if there was interest in this and if they were potentially willing to contribute financially had a positive result.

    Heurns Belang hired an architect and applied for a building permit for a new community centre. To keep costs low, many volunteers helped with the construction. On 6 April 1990, the building was festively opened, and the fitting name, devised by a resident of Heurne, was revealed: ‘D’n Heurnsen Tref‘ (The Heurne Meeting Place).


    Address history

    Address directory 1934

    Heurne 57 > 49

    Sunday school hall

    Address directory 1967

    Heurne 49 > Kappersweg 2

    Sunday school hall

    Features


    Cadastral no.R-854
    FunctionSunday school
    Year of constructionunknown
    Demolition1989
  • Community Center

    Community Center

    Wilhelminastraat 25, Aalten

    The first stone for the former community center and bathhouse at this location was laid in 1952. The building was constructed on land belonging to the late Mayor Monnik, part of his residence, the villa ‘Zonneheuvel‘. Upon his retirement as mayor, he had stipulated that these grounds should be made available to the population of Aalten.

    Zutphens Dagblad, 29 August 1952:

    First stone laying of the community center

    Wednesday was a joyful day for the board of the “Aaltens Gezondheidscentrum” foundation, as the first stone was laid for the community center and bathhouse.

    The chairman, Mr. M. Ackerman, called this stone laying a symbol of the fruitful cooperation between the Orange-Green and Green Cross. Mayor van Veen gave a congratulatory speech, and Dr. H. Knol spoke on behalf of the Red Cross.

    The first stone was bricked in by Mmes. Knol-Klijn and Brants-Boeve, under the direction of the architect, Mr. Hebly.

    Today, a monumental villa stands on this plot.


    Owners

    Overview is incomplete.

    YearPlotOwnerDescription

    Residents

    Address directory 1967

    Wilhelminastraat 25

    Community Center (Cross Association)
    A. Mesu

    Features


    Cadastral no.I-8086
    FunctionHealth centre
    ArchitectW. Hebly
    Year of construction1952
    Demolitionunknown

    Sources