Category: Population

  • Willem Carel Tack

    Willem Carel Tack

    Mayor (1895–1910)

    Willem Carel Tack was born on September 26, 1838, in Doesburg as the son of Benjamin Tack, member of the city council, and Françoise Caroline Madelon Baroness Van Eck. On June 5, 1873, he married Cornelia Johanna Paré (Bredevoort, August 2, 1848), the daughter of a minister, in Aalten. Together they had five children.

    On March 4, 1880, Tack was appointed mayor of Kesteren by Royal Decree. Following an honorable discharge as mayor of that municipality, he assumed the mayoralty of Aalten effective December 15, 1895. He succeeded Jonkheer Georg Ludwig Carl Heinrich Baud.

    Festive Reception in Aalten

    On Monday afternoon, a large crowd awaited Tack and his family at Aalten station to welcome them. Carriages, riders, and a brass band then escorted the family to the official residence on Gasthuisstraat (currently Haartsestraat 10), which later earned the nickname ‘Tackshuis’. That evening, a torchlight procession passed through the village, which was decorated with flags and greenery, in honor of the new mayor. By Royal Decree of November 25, 1907, Tack was reappointed as mayor effective December 15, 1907.

    Tack passed away on May 4, 1915, in Aalten at the age of 76 and was laid to rest in Doesburg on May 8.

    Following his departure, Adriaan Johannes Willem Monnik succeeded him as mayor of Aalten.

    Recommended reading


    ‘Van Maire Stumph tot Burgemeester Stapelkamp’, by Leo van der Linde

  • Paul Hagemann

    Paul Hagemann

    Paul Hagemann (1882–1960) was a German-born artist and naturopath who settled in Aalten around 1926. He worked as a photographer, painter and sketch artist, documenting many of the farms around Aalten. In addition, he practiced amateur naturopathy.

    Johannes Paul Hagemann, known as Paul, was born on 3 March 1882 in Münster (Germany). On 15 November 1923, he married Francina Gijsberta (Bep) van Arkel in Amsterdam.

    The couple presumably settled in Aalten around 1926. In 1934, they were registered as residents of Bodendijk 19a in Aalten; in 1938, they lived at the address IJzerlo 13b, and by 1945, they were back in the village, at Dijkstraat 5.

    Among other subjects, Hagemann captured many farms and houses in and around Aalten on canvas. Alongside his artistic pursuits, he was also involved in naturopathy. One of his health products consisted of a small box containing metal and some form of electricity.

    Paul Hagemann passed away on 8 August 1960. He was buried at the Roman Catholic cemetery on Piet Heinstraat in Aalten.


    Gallery

    A selection of works by Paul Hagemann:

  • Piet te Lintum

    Piet te Lintum

    Columnist, illustrator, sketch artist and painter

    Piet te Lintum (1909–1985) was a versatile artist from the Achterhoek. He worked as a columnist, illustrator, sketch artist and painter, capturing a vast number of landscapes and village scenes of his native region. For this reason, he is often referred to as the “painting ambassador of the Achterhoek”.

    Pieter (Piet) te Lintum was born on 13 January 1909 in Aalten, the son of Jan te Lintum, a grocer, and Johanna Christina Adolphina te Giffel. The family lived at Dijkstraat 4, the premises occupied by the Van den Dobbelsteen bakery until 2022. On 15 August 1942, he married Elisabeth Maria Schenk, with whom he had two children.

    Talent

    From an early age, Te Lintum demonstrated an exceptional talent for drawing. By the age of eleven, he was already producing accurate, lifelike portraits. He received his first lessons from an artist who had just graduated from art academy. He also spent a year taking correspondence courses from an institute in Paris.

    At eighteen, he attended classes at the Kunstnijverheidsschool (School of Arts and Crafts) in Arnhem, where he was taught by Hendrik Valk and Gerard van Lerven. Following this, he studied for three years at the Rotterdam Art Academy under David Bautz and Herman Mees. His most influential master, however, was Professor Johannes Hendricus Jurres at the Rijksschool voor Kunstnijverheid (State School of Arts and Crafts) in Amsterdam.

    Career

    After finishing his education, Piet te Lintum built a multifaceted career as an illustrator for various publishing houses. Among other projects, he drew the illustrations for the adventures of Aornt Peppelenkamp, written by Frans Roes under the pseudonym Herman van Velzen. He also worked for the Misset publishing house in Doetinchem (including for the newspaper De Graafschapbode) and created comic-strip-style columns for the Tubantia daily newspaper. In addition, he designed commercial advertising work, postcards and painted murals.

    Piet te Lintum is particularly renowned for his paintings of dilapidated buildings. He shunned the modern and rectilinear. For him, the rule was: the older and more decayed the building, the more beautiful the picture as a whole. In doing so, he was not merely interested in the romantic imagery of neglected houses and farms; through his works, he also sought to draw attention to local history.

    Even back then, Te Lintum watched with sorrow as an increasing number of old, historic buildings were demolished to make way for the redevelopment of the Achterhoek landscape. It is for this very reason that Bernard Schlüter’s small cottage in Südlohn, Germany, and the Kuupershuusken in Bredevoort were rebuilt brick by brick—all for the sake of preserving the rich local history.

    Legacy

    On 1 May 1985, Piet te Lintum passed away in Winterswijk. His work lives on in the memory of many, not least thanks to the book Wat ik te zeggen heb… (What I have to say…) by Hans de Beukelaer, which pays tribute to his life and work. More than 500 of his pieces were tracked down for the publication. Although a large portion of his murals have not withstood the test of time, his paintings of farms, buildings and regional views remain lasting testaments to his love for the Achterhoek.

    Gallery

    A selection of works by Piet te Lintum:

    Recommended reading

    • Wat ik te zeggen heb…‘, Piet te Lintum’s picturesque journey through the Achterhoek and the nearby border region
      Hans de Beukelaer en Jos Betting
    • Schilders uit de Achterhoek & Liemers, 1850-1950′
      Jan Stap en Jacob Schreuder
    • An article about Piet te Lintum was published in the March 2021 issue (Oer/39) of the cultural-historical magazine for the Achterhoek and Liemers. This magazine is still available from the ECAL (Heritage Centre Achterhoek and Liemers) in Doetinchem.
  • Leonard Roelvink, LL.M.

    Leonard Roelvink, LL.M.

    Mayor (1861–1886)

    Leonard Roelvink was born on 30 April 1833, the son of Arnoldus Florentinus Roelvink, Mayor of Aalten, and Elzabé Maria Theodora ten Cate. On 14 November 1870, he married Christina Paschen in Winterswijk, where she had been born on 27 March 1848.

    In 1857, Roelvink published his legal dissertation under the title Theses juridicae inaugurales with the publishing house Post Uiterweer in Utrecht. Four years later, in 1861, he succeeded his father as Mayor of the municipality of Aalten.

    Roelvink lived in the villa at ’t Zand in Bredevoort, which is known today as Sint Bernardus. Every day, he travelled to Aalten by carriage, just as his father had done before him. He was fiercely opposed to the arrival of the railway line to Aalten, fearing that his horses would be startled by the “steaming train monster”.

    Leonard Roelvink passed away from a stroke on 3 March 1886. The municipal council was just about to meet and was waiting for the arrival of its chairman when a doctor came to break the sad news of his passing. He was buried at the old cemetery on Prins Mauritsstraat in Bredevoort.

    Following his death, six prominent residents of Aalten addressed a letter to the Minister of the Interior. They took the opportunity to express their concerns regarding what they considered to be administrative malpractice within the municipality, which they attributed to the policies—or lack thereof—of the deceased mayor. In their letter, they explicitly stated that they did not wish to influence the appointment of a new mayor, but at the same time indicated that, in their view, “the dismal state of affairs” in Aalten was partly due to the fact that the office had passed from father to son. Among other things, they complained of deficient education, poor roads, excessive alcohol consumption, and unlawful child labour. The six men pleaded for the appointment of a strong successor who could restore order. Their grievances were taken seriously by both the Minister and the King’s Commissioner.

    Roelvink was succeeded as Mayor of Aalten by Johan Hora Adema.

  • Gerard Tebroke

    Gerard Tebroke

    Gerhardus Franciscus (Gerard) Tebroke was born on 9 November 1949 in Aalten, the second child in a family of four sons and one daughter. His parents, Hendrik Bernard Tebroke (1912–1987) and Grada Johanna Bijvank (born 1916), both came from Eibergen, where they had married in 1944. Gerard passed away unmarried on 19 March 1995.

    As a child, Gerard Tebroke from Aalten was so stiff that he was exempted from gymnastics classes in primary school. Nevertheless, he became one of the best Dutch athletes ever in the 5,000-metre and 10,000-metre events.

    Tebroke achieved many successes, but because he often pushed his body too hard during training, he was frequently injured and missed important sporting events, such as the Olympic Games in 1972 and 1976. However, his speed for that era was unprecedented. He held the Dutch record in the 10,000 metres for over 18 years and in the 5,000 metres for more than 22 years.

    In 1982, he decided to bid farewell to the sport. He retreated to a small farm in Silvolde with his dog and sheep, leading a reclusive life. Gerard Tebroke passed away in 1995 at the age of 45. Since then, the biennial Gerard Tebroke Memorialloop (a memorial run) has been held in Aalten as a tribute to him.

    Sources


  • Hendrickje Stoffels

    Hendrickje Stoffels

    Hendrickje Stoffels or Hendrickje Jegers (Bredevoort, 1626 – Amsterdam, July 1663) was a domestic servant and art dealer. For a period, she was the official employer of the Dutch painter Rembrandt van Rijn. She was also Rembrandt’s romantic partner, the mother of one of his three daughters (all of whom were named Cornelia), and possibly one of his models.

    Hendrickje Stoffels was born in Bredevoort in 1626 as the daughter of Stoffel Stoffelse and Mechteld Lamberts and grew up in the Muizenstraat. Her father was a sergeant under a captain from the Ploos van Amstel family. Stoffel was also a hunter for the castle at Bredevoort and was therefore also called Jeger. In common parlance, his children were called ‘Jegers’, but in official documents they were always referred to as ‘Stoffels’ (meaning son or daughter of Stoffel).

    Hendrickje had one sister and three brothers: Martijne Jegers, Hermen, Berent, and Frerick. She may also have had a sister named Margriete.

    Hendrickje’s father almost certainly passed away in July 1646, possibly as an unidentified victim of the gunpowder tower explosion in Bredevoort. It was likely due to this event that Hendrickje left for Amsterdam.

    Rembrandt’s beloved

    From that time on, Hendrickje entered service as a maid for the already famous painter Rembrandt van Rijn, in what is now the Rembrandt House on Jodenbreestraat in Amsterdam. On July 16, 1649, Hendrickje was back in Bredevoort; she is mentioned as a baptismal witness in the Bredevoort Baptismal Register. It is possible that Rembrandt made the journey to Bredevoort with her. This may be evidenced by several etchings by Rembrandt from 1649 and 1650, the locations of which are unknown.

    Later, Hendrickje became Rembrandt’s partner, and in 1654 they had a daughter together, Cornelia. In 1658, she started an art shop together with Titus, Rembrandt’s son from his earlier marriage to Saskia van Uylenburgh, where they sold paintings, drawings, copper engravings, woodcuts, and curiosities.

    There are several paintings and prints by Rembrandt in which Hendrickje Stoffels is recognized. However, there is no single documented image of her. Furthermore, some experts believe that the portraits identified as Stoffels exhibit a wide variety of facial features. In any case, there are a number of works by Rembrandt from the period in which Stoffels lived with him that possibly depict the same woman.

    In 1663, a plague epidemic struck Amsterdam. Hendrickje Stoffels was likely also fatally affected by this disease, as she died in July of that year. She was buried on July 24, 1663, in a rented grave in the Westerkerk in Amsterdam.

    Statue on ‘t Zand

    On ‘t Zand in Bredevoort stands a statue of Hendrickje Stoffels, created by sculptor G.J.F. (Truus) Doodeheefver-Kremer. Before creating the statue on ‘t Zand, the artist conducted research, including at the Rijksmuseum, and chose to depict Hendrickje around the age of twenty, the period when she left Bredevoort for Amsterdam. The statue was unveiled on July 7, 1977.

  • Arent Jan te Slaa

    Arent Jan te Slaa

    Town crier, better known as ‘Jan met de panne’ (Jan with the Pan)

    Arent Jan te Slaa (known as Jan) was born on 22 March 1870 in Aalten, at house number 152 (Varsseveldsestraat 3), the son of Derk Hendrik te Slaa (a night watchman) and Janna Willemina te Brake. On 29 August 1895, he married Dina Geertruida Klein Hesselink (from IJzerlo, 13 September 1871) in Aalten. The couple went to live at Hofstraat 3. They had six children.

    The latest news

    In the 19th century, very few residents of Aalten could afford to have a newspaper at home. Those wealthy enough to do so could almost every evening count on neighbours dropping by to hear the latest news. This visit did not have to be for nothing, however: guests would usually leave a block of peat under their chair as a token of appreciation.

    As was common in many places, upcoming auctions were announced outside the church on Sunday mornings following the service. Usually, the schoolmaster would do this, standing on a small bench or a large stone. For official announcements from the municipality, a large noticeboard stood on the Market Square (Markt) in Aalten. For many years, new public notices were heralded by the tolling of the church bell, but this practice was abolished in 1901.

    Town crier

    Meanwhile, the first town crier was already doing his rounds in the village. In 1868, this was D.H. te Slaa, who, together with B.H. Wieskamp, fulfilled the role of night watchman. That they also acted as criers is evident from a note by the Mayor and Aldermen (B&W) dated 19 February 1876, in which the gentlemen were reprimanded for not going far enough. Aalten was growing, but the criers’ routes were failing to expand alongside it.

    When Te Slaa passed away in 1903, he was succeeded as night watchman by his son Jan. At the time, the role of crier was not yet an official appointment, although he did already act as such. Jan te Slaa did not receive this official appointment until 1 January 1915, “and this at an annual salary of 10 guilders”.

    Jan met de Panne

    Through his manner of performing his duties, he acquired an almost legendary fame. To capture the public’s attention, he would strike a copper basin vigorously several times with a wooden clapper; this basin earned him the nickname ‘Jan met de Panne’ (Jan with the Pan). When the local residents came outside to hear ‘what was on the pan’, he would proudly deliver his message standing up straight.

    At regular intervals, he made his rounds through the village to cry out the joys and sorrows of Aalten. He also announced the sale of meat from emergency slaughterings, made public the notices of the notary, and much else besides. He even proclaimed retailers’ special offers, such as a local fishmonger selling twelve kippers for 10 cents. He was, in a sense, a walking edition of the local Aalten Vooruit newspaper.

    In early 1918, the municipal council was requested to have the crier “proclaim the news of the day in the outlying districts as well”. Crier Te Slaa stated in response that for his meagre fee of 30 cents per proclamation, he could not venture into the outlying areas, “as Aalten continues to expand, and he would very gladly satisfy all who wish to hear, provided his fee is doubled”.

    On 9 November 1924, the Mayor and Aldermen of Aalten decided to abolish the position of town crier. With the dismissal of Jan te Slaa—who “owing to the abolition of the post was granted an honourable discharge as crier in Aalten”—a striking figure vanished from the village streetscape, and a characteristic piece of village life was lost.

    Following his discharge, Te Slaa did continue to cry on behalf of private individuals, and this practice—though carried on by his successors—continued until after World War II.

    The original pan has been given an honoured place in the Nationaal Onderduikmuseum on the Market Square in Aalten. ‘De Panne’ is also the name of the museum’s biannual magazine, named after the illustrious town crier.

    ‘Those who left us in 1935.’ – De Graafschapbode, 30 December 1935
    ‘Those who left us in 1935.’ – De Graafschapbode, 30 December 1935

    Death

    Jan te Slaa passed away on 6 August 1935 and is buried at the Old Cemetery on Varsseveldsestraatweg in Aalten.

    Following his death, the Aaltensche Courant wrote:

    Jan te Slaa †

    On Tuesday afternoon, Mr A.J. te Slaa passed away here at the age of 65. With the passing of Jan te Slaa, a well-known figure leaves our community. Older residents will surely still remember Jan as he walked through the village, armed with pan and clapper, crying out the news. To the question: “Jan, what is amiss with the pan?” he always gave a kindly reply.

    He also rendered his services to our municipality for many years as a night watchman. At New Year, the inhabitants were offered a Zutphen Almanac for sale along with the best seasonal wishes; through the price one chose to pay for this, one could simultaneously express appreciation for the work of the night watchmen.

    The scope of Te Slaa’s activities was highly varied. For instance, until a few years ago, the deceased also functioned as a gravedigger and was an auxiliary postal delivery man. His role as a fish auctioneer, dating from the years of wartime mobilisation, was later continued by him in the form of a fish stall at the Thursday morning market.

    Various local societies availed themselves of his services as a messenger or debt collector, whilst at important celebrations, particularly at the Sociëteit club, Jan was always the most popular waiter. For many years, he held a position on the board of the Aalten Cattle Fund (Veefonds). Since his fall from a bicycle a few years ago, Jan was never quite his old self again, and thus a well-known Aalten resident has now departed from us.

    Sources


  • Joseph Driessen

    Joseph Driessen

    Textile manufacturer

    Josephus Walter Julius Driessen (Aalten, 07-01-1870 – Aalten, 12-12-1938) was a textile manufacturer who contributed significantly to the Aalten community.

    He was a son of Herman Anton Frans Carl Maria Driessen and Anna Maria Theodora Muhren, and a grandson of Anton Driessen. On September 7, 1897, he married Maria Anna Elisa Josepha Beckmann in Malmédy (Wallonia).

    Joseph Driessen was the director of Stoomweverij Herman Driessen & Zoon and resided in villa Beukenhof on ‘t Blik (now Hofstraat).

    Jos. Driessen is buried at the old R.C. cemetery on Piet Heinstraat in Aalten.

    His significance to Aalten was evident from the report published by De Graafschapbode following his passing:

    How is Mr. Driessen doing? This question was asked day after day over the last few weeks; at times the answer would be: “Today the condition is slightly more favorable”, but then again: “Things are not so well at ‘t Blik!” Yet, whoever asked the question, it was always followed by: “It is to be hoped that he recovers and may be spared for a few more years for his family, his factory, and for our municipality!” Alas, it was not meant to be! In recent days, the condition became increasingly serious, and on Monday evening, the news reached us that Mr. Jos. Driessen had passed away from us forever.

    The news of Mr. Driessen’s passing will be received with great sadness in wide circles. Naturally, it is first and foremost a great blow to his family, his children, and grandchildren, for whom the deceased was the center—the great magnet within the family circle who drew everyone to him and who so loved to gather the entire family around him. With what interest and warmth he shared in the lives of his married children’s families. How all the grandchildren adored their Grandpa!

    The weaving mill, founded on April 1, 1894, was brought to great prosperity over the years through his energy. From a “little weaving shed,” as Mr. Driessen himself called it, the factory steadily increased in size under his leadership and developed—in recent years with the cooperation of his sons—into the flourishing N.V. Herman Driessen & Zn., which, in addition to its weaving mill, now also has its lingerie, ready-to-wear, and knitwear departments. Until recently, it was the nearly 69-year-old director who was always the first at the office in the morning. Always punctual and hardworking himself, he rightly expected the same from the staff. Furthermore, Mr. Driessen Sr. was always interested in the interests of all who worked in the business, and not only in the interests of the employees themselves, but also in those of their families, all of whom he knew exactly. Proof of this is certainly the medical care for staff and family members as arranged at H. Driessen & Zn. The entire staff, from high to low, will learn of the passing of their eldest leader with great regret, and the eldest director will surely be greatly missed in the factory every day.

    In addition to business concerns, which became increasingly large and difficult especially in the post-war years and demanded more and more of him, Mr. Driessen showed great interest in everything concerning his place of residence. Since its founding on December 14, 1898, he was a board member and very soon became chairman of the association “Aaltens Belang.” This association was especially his great love and for which he performed an immense amount of work. The chairman always came forward with new proposals and new ideas in the interest of, or for the beautification of, our town and the Achterhoek in general.

    What has been achieved in the 40 years of this association’s existence is largely due to his initiative. How Mr. Driessen had looked forward for years to the 40th anniversary of A. B. on December 14 of this year!

    Alas! Instead of a festive commemoration, the association is plunged into deep mourning. The board of “Aaltens Belang” will terribly miss its energetic chairman. In addition to this association, Mr. Driessen held the chairmanship of the “Oudheidkamer Aalten” and of the association for hospital nursing “Steunt Elkander,” both of which also had his warm interest. Furthermore, Mr. Driessen was a director of the Geld. Westf. Stoomtram Mij. and vice-chairman of the Supervisory Board of the Coöp. Middenstandsbank Aalten, a board member of the Prov. Geldersche V.V.V., vice-chairman of the B.V.L., and a member or board member of numerous other associations. Mr. Driessen was also briefly a member of the Provincial Council of Gelderland. Mr. Driessen would not easily be absent from a meeting of one of these associations, and telling of his character is what one of his children claimed of him: “Pa is not happy unless he has at least 3 meetings a week!” Mr. Driessen took the lead at numerous official festivals and events. His fellow members of these various committees know how every program item was prepared minute by minute, but also how the program could then finally be executed exactly and the event succeeded.

    On August 30, 1930, the mayor informed Mr. Driessen that H. M. the Queen had appointed him a Knight in the Order of Orange-Nassau. This was a recognition of Mr. Driessen’s great merits, in which countless residents rejoiced along with him and his family. In September 1937, the 40th anniversary of N.V. H. Driessen & Zn., as well as the 40th wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. Driessen—Beckmann, was commemorated with great splendor. On this occasion, it was again evident in a spontaneous and heartfelt manner how authorities, citizens, staff, and business relations shared in this jubilee. These were unforgettable days for Mr. Driessen, which he was fortunately still able to experience in good health.

    During the last year, but especially the last few months, things were no longer going well. However difficult it was for the so industrious Mr. Driessen, he had to withdraw more and more from his work and take rest. Even sooner than initially expected, his ailment increased in severity and the end came.

    With Mr. Jos. Driessen, a resident has passed away who loved his place of residence very much and to whom Aalten owes a great deal. His name will surely remain in grateful memory for many for a long time. The solemn funeral service will take place this coming Friday morning.

    Sources


  • Arnoldus Florentinus Roelvink, LL.M.

    Arnoldus Florentinus Roelvink, LL.M.

    Mayor (1818–1861) and Notary

    Arnoldus Florentinus Roelvink was born on 23 December 1789 in Borculo, the son of Bernard Andreas Roelvink and Harmina Abbink. On 12 November 1817, he married Elzabé Maria Theodora ten Cate (Neede, 21 July 1798) in Bredevoort; she was the daughter of Tieleman ten Cate and Anna Jacoba Roelvink. The couple had seven children together.

    Roelvink was a notary, and following the French period, he was also appointed in 1813 as the first mayor of the municipality of Bredevoort. When this municipality was merged with Aalten in 1818, Roelvink became the mayor of the merged municipality of Aalten. He held this position until his death on 6 January 1861.

    Roelvink lived with his family in the villa at ‘t Zand in Bredevoort, which is known today as Sint Bernardus. Roelvinkstraat in Bredevoort is named after him.

    Roelvink was succeeded as mayor of Aalten by his son, Mr Leonard Roelvink.

  • Christiaan Casper Stumph

    Christiaan Casper Stumph

    Mayor (1811–1818)

    Christiaan Caspar Stumph was baptized in Aalten on February 14, 1745, as the son of Abraham Stumph and Elisabeth Ovink. On November 12, 1780, he married Jeanne Lesturgeon. They had at least one child, Abraham Antoni. This son drowned in the Slingebeek at the age of 34. Popular belief held that his death was related to a broken heart.

    In 1795, Stumph was accused of the attack on Ten Holte and imprisoned. He was released a month later as his guilt could not be proven.

    Stumph was a close friend of the Freule van Dorth, who was executed in Winterswijk in 1799. Seven hours before her death, she wrote him a letter: “My Dear Friend, I thank you very much for all the kindness shown to me in this life. I write [this] at 4 o’clock, thus 7 hours before [life] shall be taken from me by a bullet. The journey from Groenlo etc. is the cause of my death. I find in the same a reconciled God; comfort my Unfortunate Brother who is distressed for me until Death. Be so kind as to say an Eternal Farewell to all my acquaintances. J.M.C.J. van Dorth.

    The first mayor of Aalten

    Following the annexation of our country by France on July 10, 1810, the entire administrative power was restructured and centralized according to the French model. A departmental organization was established, headed by a prefect for the departments, a sub-prefect for the districts, and a maire (mayor) for the municipalities.

    On March 12, 1811, Christiaan Caspar Stumph was appointed maire of the Canton of Aalten. He is therefore considered the first mayor of the municipality of Aalten. He held this position until January 1, 1818, when a new administrative regulation was established.

    Stumph lived at the Smees. He was a person of independent means and an organist in Aalten, a man of integrity with many noble objectives. On May 14, 1819, at the age of 74, he married 30-year-old Caatjen Weversborg in Aalten. As far as is known, their marriage remained childless.

    Christiaan Casper Stumph was a man who frequently endeavored to put an end to existing abuses. One of his greatest grievances was the practice of burial inside the church or in the churchyard within the village. Indeed, this often led to unimaginable situations. On several occasions, subsidences occurred in the church floor, and the owners of these graves failed to carry out the necessary repairs. For weeks, the pews near the hole in question would be uninhabitable. Consequently, a regulation was established stating that churchwardens, in cases of negligence, were permitted to contract out the necessary repairs, whereby the plot in question would revert to the church.

    Burial mound at ‘het Smees’

    The condition of the cemetery around the church was also frequently poor. Because burials had not been conducted at a “sufficient” depth for a long time, bones regularly came to the surface. A bone collector gathered these remains from time to time for two bushels of rye per year and threw them into the “Beenhalle,” a small building in the churchyard on the Market side. If the stock became too large, it was cleared out, and the walls were cleaned and repaired where necessary.

    With the improvement of social conditions and higher hygiene standards, changes slowly but surely occurred in this area, including the obligation to make graves sufficiently deep. A law to prohibit burial within towns and villages, following foreign examples, could not yet find favor in our country. People could not bring themselves to take the major step of breaking with all traditions and leaving the dead “just anywhere in the ground” far outside the village.

    Stumph was a proponent of burial outside the village; he decided to have an “Outer Cemetery” created in one of the Smees meadows. In 1818, the foundation deed and will were drawn up. Christiaan Casper Stumph passed away on January 6, 1820. According to his last wish, he was buried at the old Smees. This site is still recognizable today as a burial mound, located on Nannielaantje.

    Mayor Stumph was succeeded by Mr. Arnoldus Florentinus Roelvink.

    Recommended reading


    ‘Van Maire Stumph tot Burgemeester Stapelkamp’, by Leo van der Linde

  • Joseph Gerard van der Schaaf

    Joseph Gerard van der Schaaf

    Vrederechter, kantonrechter

    Joseph Gerard van der Schaaf was born on 3 March 1798 in Utrecht, the son of Jacobus Hendrik van der Schaaf and Magdalena Noijon. On 27 March 1836, he married Johanna Hendrina van der Sluis in Hattem.

    He served as a District Judge (kantonrechter) in Aalten from 1838 to 1855. Previously, he was a Justice of the Peace (vrederechter) in Aalten, from which position he was honourably discharged.

    Joseph Gerard van der Schaaf died on 21 October 1877 in Velp.

  • Frederik Willem Jacob Immink

    Frederik Willem Jacob Immink

    Frederik Willem Jacob Immink was born on 24 August 1822 in Ootmarsum, the son of the Reverend Petrus Immink and Aleida van Laer. On 18 July 1854, he married Anna Beatrix Scheij (Oldenzaal, 29 July 1821) in Borculo.

    From 1852 to 1855, he was the Clerk of the Court at the District Court in Aalten. Subsequently, he served as District Judge in Aalten from 1855 to 1877. Following this period, he was appointed District Judge in Groenlo.

    His residences included addresses on Landstraat, Markt, Damstraat, and Bredevoortsestraatweg.

    Frederik Willem Jacob Immink died on 25 March 1893 in Groenlo at the age of 70.

  • Abraham Casper Salomon ten Bokkel

    Abraham Casper Salomon ten Bokkel

    Advocate, notary, land clerk, Justice of the Peace, acting Mayor of Aalten, and deputy bailiff.

    Abraham Casper Salomon ten Bokkel was born on 1 November 1761 in Bodegraven, the son of the Reverend Theodorus ten Bokkel (baptised in Aalten on 23 June 1728) and Margaretha van Hoeij. Ten Bokkel studied in Harderwijk (enrolled in 1786).

    On 29 April 1787, he married Gesina Geertruid Schaars (Aalten, 15 March 1767) in Terborg. This marriage produced four daughters, two of whom died shortly after birth:

    1. Cornelia Theodora (Aalten, 03-08-1795 – Aalten, 17-11-1795)
    2. Cornelia Theodora (Aalten, 07-08-1799 – Dinxperlo, 04-12-1866)
    3. Stephanetta Hendrika Wilhelmina (Aalten, 18-01-1801 – Amsterdam, 07-01-1885)
    4. Aurelia Margaretha (Aalten, 08-03-1804 – Aalten, 10-05-1804)

    An advertisement from 1797 was found in which Ten Bokkel is mentioned as an advocate involved in the sale of the substantial Lohn House, just across the border in Südlohn (D). In 1803, a similar advertisement was discovered concerning the sale of Sinderen House.

    In 1823, Ten Bokkel lived on Landstraat in Aalten, at what is now number 17.

    Abraham Casper Salomon ten Bokkel died on 29 May 1831 in Dinxperlo.

  • Abraham Antonij Stumph

    Abraham Antonij Stumph

    Abraham Antonij Stumph was born on February 4, 1784, in Aalten, as the son of the first mayor of Aalten, Christiaan Casper Stumph, and Jeanne Lesturgeon.

    Abraham Antonij Stumph passed away on July 23, 1818, in Aalten. He had drowned in the Slingebeek at the age of 34. Local folklore suggested that his death was related to a broken heart. His body was buried on the family estate ‘t Smees, in the burial mound on the Nannielaantje.

    Notary A.A. Stumph - Staatkundig Dagblad van het Departement van den Boven-IJssel, 1812-03-10
    Staatkundig Dagblad van het Departement van den Boven-IJssel, March 10, 1812
  • Otto Hendrik Roschet

    Otto Hendrik Roschet

    Notary

    Otto Hendrik Roschet was an ‘imperial notary’ in the canton of Aalten in the early 19th century. He was baptized on November 24, 1769, in Arnhem, as the son of Willem Hendrik Roschet, steward of the ‘t Loo estate in Apeldoorn, and Arnolda Elisabeth Wakker. The surname was originally written as ‘Rochet’.

    The first mention we have found of O.H. Rochet in Aalten dates from 1809, during the French period, with his profession listed as ‘lawyer’. In 1812, he was appointed notary in the canton of Aalten by imperial decree. In 1813, he lived on Kerkstraat.

    His younger brother Theodorus Gerardus had settled in Aalten as a pharmacist in 1802, but passed away in 1804 at the age of 28 from “a severe putrid fever”. Whether Otto Hendrik was already living in Aalten at that time is unknown to us.

    The last mention of Roschet as a notary in Aalten that we found dates from 1815. The next mention of him was found in the Arnhemsche Courant of February 6, 1816, in which he is listed as the steward of ‘t Loo in Apeldoorn. Subsequently, he was mentioned in the Arnhemsche Courant of April 4, 1816, as the acting mayor of Apeldoorn.

    Otto Hendrik Roschet passed away on November 21, 1824, at the age of 55 at ‘t Loo in Apeldoorn. At that time, he was an overseer and captain in the garrison company there.

  • Régistre Civique

    Régistre Civique

    In the early 19th century, during the French occupation, a large-scale administrative reform was implemented in the Netherlands. One of the most significant changes was the introduction of the Régistre Civique, a civil register in which eligible male voters were recorded.

    The Régistre Civique was introduced under the reign of Napoleon Bonaparte, who annexed the Netherlands into the French Empire in 1810. The purpose of this registration was to obtain an overview of citizens who had the right to vote and were eligible for public office.

    Who was registered?

    The register contained the names of men who:

    • Were at least 21 years old;
    • Were not dependent on public charity;
    • Possessed sufficient property or income.

    For many residents of Aalten and Bredevoort, this meant that only the more affluent farmers, traders, and craftsmen were registered. Day laborers and small-scale farmers were excluded from the registration.

    From Régistre Civique to population register

    The introduction of the Régistre Civique was one of the first steps toward a more bureaucratic government structure in the Netherlands. After the departure of the French in 1813, the need for administrative registration remained. The Régistre Civique was eventually replaced by the population register, which provided a more complete overview of all residents, regardless of their social status.

    Historical value and genealogical research

    Today, the data from the Régistre Civique is a valuable source for genealogical research. Images (scans) and an index (transcription) of the Aalten register are available at Genealogiedomein.nl. For many individuals included in the register, the address (house number) is also mentioned, allowing us to know where they lived at the time.

    Please note: the Régistre Civique of Aalten (and likely those of other places as well) contains various inaccuracies. In particular, birth and baptismal dates for individuals not born or baptized in Aalten are often imprecise or even incorrect.

  • Baptism, Marriage and Burial Books

    Baptism, Marriage and Burial Books

    In 1811, the Civil Registry was introduced in the Netherlands. Before that, important life events were recorded by church authorities in baptism, marriage and burial books (DTB books). In Aalten and Bredevoort, these registers were mainly kept by the Dutch Reformed Church (later the Dutch Reformed Church). In addition, Catholic baptismal records are available of the Cross Chapel in Hemden from 1706 onwards. These DTB registers are an indispensable source for genealogical research in the period before 1811.

    Unfortunately, DTB books are not always complete; Some books have been lost and the registration was not equally systematic everywhere. Moreover, in different places, these registers were started at different times.

    Available DTB books

    • Aalten (NDG): Baptism and marriage from 1665, death/burial from 1762.
    • Bredevoort (NDG): Baptisms and marriages from 1638/1639.
    • Shirts (RK): Baptisms from 1706 onwards.

    Baptismal books

    Contain the name of the person baptized, date of baptism and often the names of the parents and sometimes the witnesses. In older books, the name of the mother is often not mentioned. The date of baptism is not the same as the date of birth. Children were baptized as soon as possible after birth, often on the following Sunday. From 1772 onwards, the date of birth is also mentioned in Aalten.

    Wedding books

    Contain the names of the bride and groom, wedding date and sometimes additional details such as names of parents, witnesses and in case of remarriage the previous husband(s). Sometimes the date of the marriage announcement was noted instead of the actual wedding date.

    Burial books

    Contain, in addition to the burial date, the name of the deceased or only the relationship to the head of the family or farm, for example ‘Hendrik te Slaa zijn vrou’, ‘de vrou aan de Smoege’ or ‘een kint van Derk Neerhof’. In the burial book of Aalten for the period 1762-1811 the date of death is also noted, but this is not the case in all burial books.

    Symbols


    On Old Aalten, symbols are sometimes used to indicate important facts of life. Here is an overview of these symbols and their meanings:

    *
    ~

    ✝︎
    ±
    <
    >
    Birth
    Baptism
    Marriage
    Death
    About (approximately)
    Before (date)
    After (date)

    DTB Book Transcriptions

    Various transcriptions of DTB registries are available for researchers, which facilitate the research. Transcriptions of DTB books in the Achterhoek are available on Genealogiedomein.nl.

    Tips for searching DTB registries

    • WhoWasWho: DTB data can also be found on WieWasWie.nl (events, names and dates). This can greatly facilitate the search, but also refer to the accompanying transcript for more information and context. WhoWasWho also offers links to the scan of the original register, on the website of the Gelderland Archives. Although this is very interesting to watch, the original handwritten texts are often difficult to read.
    • Variable spelling: Names were not always written consistently. Try variations in your search.
    • Surname changes: Before 1811, surnames of people were not always fixed. Especially in the countryside, it was not unusual for someone’s surname to change when moving to another farm.
    • Check dates carefully: The date of baptism is usually not the date of birth and the burial date is not the date of death.

    Additional resources

    In addition to DTB registers, other archives can provide useful information, such as member registers, tax registers, notarial deeds, military and judicial archives. The Achterhoek and Liemers Heritage Centre (ECAL), the Gelderland Archives and the website Genealogiedomein.nl are valuable sources for such research.

  • Willy Walvoort

    Willy Walvoort

    Jan Willem (Willy) Walvoort was born on July 17, 1935, in Aalten, as the son of factory worker Johannes Walvoort and Berendina Geertruida Prinsen. He worked professionally as a maintenance man for the Vereniging Volkshuisvesting (later De Woonplaats), but gained local fame as a draftsman and painter. Walvoort captured numerous locations in Aalten, Bredevoort, and the surrounding area. He passed away on January 16, 2018, at the age of 82.

    Youth, education, and profession

    Walvoort showed an interest in drawing and painting from an early age. Mr. Siebrands of the Public Primary School in Aalten advised Walvoort’s parents to send their son to the Art Academy. However, his parents were not in favor of this. They considered it more important to “learn a good trade to earn a living.”

    After primary school, he attended the Technical School, training in carpentry and masonry. Subsequently, he specialized in technical drawing. His career led him to the Volkshuisvesting, where he worked as a maintenance man for many years.

    Oeuvre of drawings, paintings, and illustrations

    Alongside his work, Walvoort steadily built an oeuvre consisting primarily of pen drawings and paintings featuring recognizable village and cityscapes. In a 1999 interview, he named the Achterhoek painter Piet te Lintum as his greatest inspiration—“the painting ambassador of the Achterhoek”. Modest as he was, Willy stated in an interview that an excessive amount of talent is not required to draw and paint. “If you are willing and able to put a lot of love and time into it, you will go a long way!”

    Walvoort gained fame as a book illustrator in 1995. He illustrated the reissue of Henk Krosenbrink’s novel Het Beloofde Land (The Promised Land). In 1997, he provided the cover illustration for Jos Wessels’ book: Nazareth en zijn katholieken (Nazareth and its Catholics). Nout Wellink, then president of the Dutch Central Bank and born in Bredevoort, was presented with the first copy.

    Final years and passing

    In the final stage of his life, Walvoort spent some time in a nursing home in Varsseveld. He passed away on January 16, 2018; the funeral took place in private. Hundreds of drawings and paintings in private and local collections keep the memory of this artist alive.


    Gallery

    A selection of work by Willy Walvoort:

  • Anton Kuijsten

    Anton Kuijsten

    Antonie (Anton) Kuijsten (1917–2007) was a teacher and headteacher in Aalten, as well as a self-taught woodcarver, draughtsman and watercolourist. From its founding until his retirement, he led the Reformed (Hervormde) School Aalten-Zuid (later renamed De Broekhof). His surname is also frequently spelt as Kuysten.

    Kuijsten was born on 5 October 1917 in Huizen. His mother passed away when he was eight years old, but thanks to the way his father supported the family and the live-in housekeeper who remained with them for a long time, he still enjoyed a happy childhood.

    After graduating from the teacher training college (kweekschool) in Amsterdam, Kuijsten taught at various locations, including Naarden, Muiden, Rheden—where he met his future wife—and Zutphen. During the final months of the occupation, he went into hiding to avoid being forced to work for the occupying forces. On 11 April 1947, he married Hendrina Groenewoud in Rheden.

    Upon the opening of the 2nd Dutch Reformed School Aalten-Zuid in 1954 (which later became the Broekhofschool), he was appointed as headteacher. Kuijsten was renowned as a storyteller who brought history lessons to life “as if he had been there himself”. By 1967, the family was living at Wilhelminastraat 4 in Aalten. He was also highly active within the Protestant Church: for over twenty years, he led the children’s church services in Aalten-Zuid, and he served as an elder for a period of time.

    Alongside his teaching career, Kuijsten developed his skills as a self-taught woodcarver, draughtsman and painter. In addition to watercolours, he produced drawings using liquid watercolour (ecoline). He also created items such as birthday calendars. He is featured in the book Kunstig Aalten (2021), an overview of artists from Aalten compiled by Leo van der Linde.

    The sudden death of his wife in 1987 was a profound loss. For several years, he laid down his brush and pencil, though he fortunately managed to resume his creative work later on. In the final phase of his life, he faced frail health. Following an admission to the hospital in Winterswijk and a short stay at the ’t Hoge Veld care home, he ultimately passed away in hospital. The funeral took place on 1 December 2007, following a thanksgiving service at the Old Helenakerk in Aalten. He was laid to rest at the Berkenhove cemetery.


    Gallery

    A selection of works by Anton Kuijsten:

  • Joop and Truus Doodeheefver

    Joop and Truus Doodeheefver

    Joop and Truus Doodeheefver were an artist couple who moved from Amsterdam to Aalten in 1973 and remained active there for decades. In Aalten, Joop (1924–2001) focused on drawings and transparent watercolours of landscapes and farms. Truus (1928–2004) created portraits, animal figures and independent work in bronze, aluminium and wood. They regularly exhibited together within the region and further afield.

    Johannes Christoffel (Joop) Doodeheefver was born in Amsterdam on 6 June 1924. He trained in the studio of Nel Fernhout and worked for approximately thirty years as a designer-colourist at his father’s wallpaper factory, the firm Rath & Doodeheefver. In 1945, he married Truus Kremer.

    Geertruida Jeannette Frederika (Truus) Kremer was born in Leiden on 15 February 1928. Shortly afterwards, the family moved to Amsterdam. She learned sculpting from Adrianus Remiëns and married Joop Doodeheefver in 1945.

    Move to Aalten

    The couple had long cherished the desire to one day leave hectic Amsterdam behind and settle in the “as yet unspoilt east”. In 1973, they put their words into action and settled with their family at the monumental farmhouse De Kiefte in the Aalten hamlet of Heurne.

    Here, Joop dedicated himself to sketching and painting watercolours of the surrounding landscapes and farms. He also undertook a great deal of commissioned work to capture objects, individuals and landscapes for future generations. Additionally, he provided the illustrations for the book De Freule van Dorth (The Noblewoman of Dorth), written by Ben Bekker (1974).

    Truus sculpted naturalistic portraits and animal figures, and also produced woodcarvings. A well-known piece by her hand is the statuette of Hendrickje Stoffels at ’t Zand in Bredevoort (1977).

    They exhibited successfully both jointly and individually, both in the Netherlands and abroad.


    Gallery

    A selection of works by Joop and Truus Doodeheefver: